Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Wildcat bullet expansion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wildcat bullet expansion question

Ok, I look forward to hearing all about it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wildcat bullet expansion questions and answers!

Alucard I did a couple of tests today finally! The weather aint been great lately. I took a couple of small animals such as cats ( 1 ) crows ( 1 ) robins ( 3 ) The 45 grainers made a mess of the robins blowing them into 2 pieces all 3 of them! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] The cat and crow were taken with the 52 grainer and blew a nice fat hole in them! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They were all shot from a 22.250 but we haven't chronoed them yet but maybe by the weekend I will have some more info as far as velocities and maybe some .223 results as well on the 52 grainer. So far they are working like a charm! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
At extreme range you will not get any bullet to offer dramatic expansion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here fifty. I have shot chucks with the Amax bullets out to 1300 yards and had them still expand violently. The Berger vld's still do a fair job of killing at 1500 with the calibers bigger than 6mm, but the Amax detonates anything in any caliber anywhere in my experience.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:41 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

GG,

If you read my next post down from that one you quoted you will see that I list the A-Max as the best of the breed at expanding but I would much rather have the higher ballistic Performance of a true VLD or ULD in comparision. I also generally use larger calibers for extreme range varminting so expansion is not a nessesity for certain kills at extreme range.

I agree the A-Max will perform very well compared to VLD and ULD HP designs as far as expansion goes.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

10-4 good buddy.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the update 7RUMoader. Those bullets sound like they should do nicely for me!

I just picked up some 155gr 30cal A-Max bullets to try out in the 300 RUM for longer shots on varmints. Hopefully I can get them to shoot. Any suggestions on a load to try out? I use H4831SC, H1000, and Retumbo for the Ultra. Thanks again!!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

Alucard I have had the best luck with H-1000, Retumbo and H-50BMG powder in my 7Rum. Retumbo has yielded the best velocities and some good groups but almost every bullet I have stacked over the BMG powder has shot very accurate. The H-1000 has been the best overall performer when you combine all factors like velocity, group size and ES and SD. The 50 BMG powder is delivering very good velocity spreads in the low teens and some single digit spreads but velocities with this powder have averaged 100 to 150 FPS slower than the rest but if you talking about looong range it would be a good idea to give up that 100 fps for small single digit variations in velocity! Check out hodgdons website they have some good info for loads on the Rums but some have proved to be on the consevative side in my rig.