Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Wildcat bullet expansion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Wildcat bullet expansion question

Hey guys. This one is for all of us Wildcat Bullet shooters. I have used a number of Richards bullets in a few calibers now. The only problem is that I am out, and I have only shot these at paper. How is the terminal performace of these bullets? Particularily in the .224 calibers. Are they explosive compared to the other .224 cal varmint bullets on the market today ie: TNTs, Nosler, V-Max etc.?

Also, would the 210 ULD HP be a good choice for varmints out past 500 yards in 30 cals? Thanks for the info guys!!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wildcat bullet expansion question

I don't have an answer for you right now but plan on having one in the next few days. I don't know what grain .224 bullets you have but I am currently trying the 45 grain P10 flat base and the 52 grain P8 flat base and will be trying them on animals soon. I will speculate and say the 45 grainer with the large open hollow point should be very explosive! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Will post back soon on these!! As for the .30 cal I can't answer that cause I dont own one anymore but I will have some results on the .284 soon with 169.5 RBBT ULD's!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

What cartridge of .224 is that? I would like to try them in a .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem, and a .220 Swift. I have tried the 45 gr P10 on paper. Boy those things shoot!!! I wouldn't maind giving the 52gr a shot and see how those work out for me. Thanks for the quick reply! Keep em coming guys!!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Alucard,

Most of the ULD RBBT bullets are relatively thin jacketed bullets. The smaller caliber bullets using the J-4 jackets will come apart very violently on critters when driven past 3500 fps. In the 22-250 and larger rounds they are very impressive.

The larger calibers really depend on what you will be shooting them out of. The 210 ULD RBBT HP will open up very similarly to the Berger VLD.

At extreme range you will not get any bullet to offer dramatic expansion. That is why when the range gets much past 1000 yards, the larger frontal area bullets simply perform better even on varmint size game like chucks.

FOr P-dogs, any solid hit will flip them significantly.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info fiftydriver.

I am not familiar with the performance of the Berger VLD. How do they perform? I have shot some Nosler Custom Comp 168 gr (J4s) 30 cal bullets out of the .300 RUM and hit some gophers at about 200 yards. Sends em flying good, but nice neat 30 cal holes. How are the Wildcats compared to those?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Alucard,

Will be similiar with slightly more expansion due to the unique meplat on the Wildcat Bullets, at least the 169.5 gr which si a bit rounded at the tip. This may initiate a bit more expansion but more importantly it will displace more tissue vis hydrostatic shock waves.

There are no true VLD or ULD bullets that are great expanding bullets. The A-Max would probably be the best but it will not compete ballistically with a true VLD or especially a ULD bullet design.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Alucard they are going to be shot out of all the calibers you listed. I don't have a .223 but my buddy johnnyk does and of course I will share with him! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We will have some on game performance maybe by Friday I hope. Will post back as soon as we get done!