Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wildcat ALuminum Tipped Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Wildcat ALuminum Tipped Bullets

I was wondering if Richards aluminum tipped bullets where in production yet or are they still in "testing phase" Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Gold Member

G'day mate !

As far as I know they are not in production yet ? I think many of us are loosing hope that it will pan out ? I believe there are ongoing jacket sourcing problems ? I planned on using the big 338 pills but I have lost faith they will eventuate.

Cheers

DUH
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

Is Aluminum the best type of metal for a bullet that will likely be traveling at close to mach 3? I thought the SR71 had to use tytanium to tip it's cutting edges, as well as the Mig 25 because aluminum got too hot when traveling at such high speeds due to friction in the atmoshpere.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
SPONSOR

Yes, Richard is still working on the project and yes, there have been set-backs. I am still expecting to see them.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

While aluminum may not stand up to heat as well as titanium, it should not be a problem for a bullet!

A bullet only flies for a few seconds at very high velocity, and if a plastic ballistic tip can take the heat, aluminum can do it better. Aluminum suffers from cycling. pressurizing an airframe like a balloon eventually causes it to fail.

edge.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
While aluminum may not stand up to heat as well as titanium, it should not be a problem for a bullet!

A bullet only flies for a few seconds at very high velocity, and if a plastic ballistic tip can take the heat, aluminum can do it better. Aluminum suffers from cycling. pressurizing an airframe like a balloon eventually causes it to fail.

edge.
Ya, that makes sence - now I'm red in the face lol

yet one more of those times I spoke before I thought ;)
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

The latest I've heard on jackets is 1)that Richard Can get them 2) but can he get them across the border? The border seems to be the problem.

I haven't given up yet.