Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wilcat Bullets...Why haven't BC's been posted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Wilcat Bullets...Why haven\'t BC\'s been posted?

Well the only wildcat bullet I have shot is the 169.5 30cal with Bill Bailey and I have seen the same results. I may not have personnaly tested all of these bullets but I believe the pics, stories, and results Kirby has posted here prove, in my mind, the benefit of shooting these bullets over other's. He has proven it so much that I am perhaps just a month away from the delivery of my own 270 Allen Mag and, as Kirby has said, the awesome power of the gun is due in a large part to the use of WildCat bullets. Maybe I am gullable but I choose to trust in people rather than be a synnic. I have also ordered some 130 gr ULD RBBT bullets to test in a 25/06 so I will post those results when I get them

Thanks
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
SPONSOR

All I'll say is that both Richard and Kirby are stand up, honest guys. Both have been very helpful in my quest for longrange accuracy. Neither one deserves to be flamed as they are in this thread.

Richard has the right to do whatever the hell he wants. If he has the time, equipment and wants to test BCs then he can. If he doesn't, he doesn't have to. I believe he is the owner of WildCat bullets. If you don't like it, don't buy them.

It's not Kirby or Richards fault that you were picked on as a child, so quit beating them up.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

John M"

[ QUOTE ]
THESE ARE BOLD CLAIMS! BACK THEM UP!

[/ QUOTE ]
Learn to use a computer and the search function and you will find information, testing and dead bodies as a result. That's not enough for you?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you posted BC's on this thread so matter-of-factly even though there has never been real testing.
Plus this is the FIRST time you did so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, see above. Read and learn before you make statements that show you don't know what you're saying.

[ QUOTE ]
Stop talking like a polititian.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you knew even part of the normal definitions of what a politician is or does you would know this is garbage. Again, read all of the posts that relate to what you're talking about and you will see that Kirby's statements and comments are informative and truthfull, as well as being backed up with facts and results.

Any particular reason to start trashing a couple of guys that do anything they can for anybody, or did you just get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Click on "search". Read everything you can and make note of all of the data and information you say never existed and then see how things look to you.

Better yet, buy a box or two of Richard's bullets and learn to test them. You might be surprised at what you find, and learn.

I'm sure that Kirby will respond, as he always does, very diplomatically but some of us don't have to be diplomatic. If you don't like people or their products then don't use them. That just means those of us that know what is available will be able to get it easier.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM

SS7MM, if you've tested the BC's then post them and don't give me the horsecrap that it different in every gun.
The number should be close. Cauterucio's BC's of 750 for the 176 and 615 for the 156 are right on. Of course they will not be exact in every gun. If I shoot them in a 7mm-08 they will be off quite a bit. That is why we state BC's at certain velocities. I don't take every manufacturers BC at face value. Barnes for instance is way high. Sierra is actually pretty good number.

You are right richard doesn't "have to" post the BC's. Yes richard is a really nice guy. I've spoken to him on many occasions. I would love to try his bullets.
These are BOLD CLAIMS....HIGHER BC'S THAN EVER BEFORE, IN SEVERAL CALIBERS!!!!
A 300 GRAIN WITH A BC OVER 800! CLOSE THE THE 750 AMAX FOR THE 50BMG!!!

That is the only reason I think testing should be done.
Richard absolutely does not have to do it, but if its true then these are the GREATEST BULLETS EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF FIREARMS! That would really be what they are wouldn't they? Higher BC's in every major caliber, super accurate, deadly on game at all ranges.
If this is the case why wouldn't Richard test them?

On another note, I have not made personal insults on anybody. Thats baby crap. That is a sure sign of a weak cause. Stick to the facts. This is a forum not field & stream where we only positive things are written. We all benefit from facts. This forum has helped me make many decisions about products. I read a post from Chris Mathews where he had bad results with wildcat bullets. I've heard results saying positive things, many more in fact. Threads have been started about the testing of these bullets and all I see is a lot of talk and the Hawking of Kirby's Allen Magnum.

So stick to facts guys.
And by the way, I wouldn't go around name calling if the signature on all my posts is "Dick"!

Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

The last thing in the world I want Richard to worry about doing is testing BC's. I'd much rather have him spend that time making bullets!

For people it's that important to, they really should test them for themselves--and that goes for any bullet, not just Wildcats--especially really long, heavy for caliber bullets.

For example, I recently tested the BC of the 30 Cal 240 SMK. It fell short of the .7 mark by a ways, registering a .635 ICAO (if I remember correctly, I'll double check my notes later tonight). Now this bullet had always tracked the drop charts dead on in the past (but it sure wasn't now), and I know others have tested it at close to its advertised number...so what gives?

I have a theory. I was using a mild Retumbo load at 2850 for the first time which is a good 125 fps below my hot old H870 load. I'm guessing that a 1:10 twist is less than ideal for this bullet and it's showing up worse at the lower velocity. The bullet may be taking longer to "go to sleep" which will lower its BC, especially in the first 200 yds which is the range I measured it over.

Whether I'm right or wrong about that doesn't really matter. The fact is that bullet isn't performing quite up to snuff with this load and this barrel. And I never would have known it had I not tested it for myself. Sierra gave an advertised number and I generally trust their numbers a lot. But in this case, it was quite a ways off for my rifle and this load. Of course in Sierra's defense, the do say this bullet requires a 1:9 twist....

I just wish I had some more H870 so I could test the old load to see if it fairs better when started at a higher velocity.

Since I'm about to get a new tube, this has me strongly considering a 1:9 twist for it as I like the heavies in this rifle, this bullet and I have some 240's coming from Richard if the jackets will ever get there.

But that's just one example of how doing your own testing will tell you more than any manufacturer can.

For another, those of you who use Barnes bullets and like them and are happy they provide such accurate BC numbers....run away from the chronograph as fast as you can! You don't want to know!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 PM
SPONSOR

I just don't understand your arguement.

On every post where I have read of Kirby using the Wildcat bullets he has stated what he found to be the BC. Over and over he has said that by using his drop charts this is what he has figured the BC to be. So by this point then your entire arguement is pointless because the BC's have been posted.

If you don't believe him buy some of the bullets and shoot them yourself.

Now of course not every BC for every wildcat bullet has been posted. primarily because some people threw a hissy fit just like this before and Richard decided to stop publishing PROJECTED bc's after that.

No one is saying these are the greatest bullets ever made so there is no need to be a smart @$$ about it. There no flies on any other bullet makers and no one has said anything like that.

Also, I haven't heard all of this "hawking" of Kirby's guns. If anything they "hawk" themselves with great accuracy, hard hitting results, and alot of this due to the wildcat bullets being spit out of them.

So if you want Facts then test some of these bullets yourself and find your own facts [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Jon A

Great Post! I agree BC is highly gun and load dependent.

John M

I got some 243 bergers with an advertised BC of 0.53 but in my 1-10 twist they were sideways at 50 yds so what is the BC of a side ways bullet - not much. Was this Berger's fault - No. Anybody who shoots longrange with all of the expensive gear needed can shoot in their own BC with their own barrel and load. I have lots of boxes of different manufacturers bullets that don't shoot well for me.
I trust nobodies BC. BC is like horsepower - Ford over estimates and Chevy underestimates but the lights at the dragstrip know who's got what. At 1000 yds you either have good BC or you don't got what you need.

The truly amazing thing about the Wildcat bullets is that the price is so reasonable compared to other bullets. The man makes no claim. You buy and you test, just like any other manufacturer.

Further, being an <font color="red"> ornery </font> , <font color="blue"> obstinate </font> , <font color="purple"> I'll do it my way </font> kind of person, I kind of admire Richard's determination to run his business his way. After all this is America - Land of the free.

Finally, Richard provides a service we cannot get anywhere else. Heavy for caliber longrange hunting bullets.