Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Wilcat Bullets...Why haven't BC's been posted?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 09:27 PM

Wilcat Bullets...Why haven\'t BC\'s been posted?

Yea, I know I've seen posts in June saying the BC's were super high, then in July some comments about how these were told to richard grave by the diemakers.

Richard seems like a nice guy, but a lot of guys are buying thses bullets and Real BC data is needed.

Cauterucios BC's are real. Sierra's are real. How about real info from real testing?

If I was selling bullets, I would supply accurate BC data like Sierra. especially when I claiming the highest BC's in SEVERAL different calibers.

Lets get the facts.....no excuses!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wilcat Bullets...Why haven\'t BC\'s been posted?

You may recall a thread I started some time back asking this very question. Unfortuantely, my order was canceled, and I therefore, could not test the 230gr 308s. However, there were some folks who said they would be interested in testing them by shooting them through a pair of chronographs (along with all of the other approprate data) if shooters were interested in providing 20 bullets of so to test. HBC on BRC volunteered to test 6mms and the 7mm-338 calibers were covered by two shooters on this board. If you are interested in having some bullets tested, then there are readily avalable sources for accurate, measured BCs.
Just a quick addon. Most of the BCs that are being circulated are provided by the die makers, however, Fiftydriver does have some BC data that he has extrapolated from drop data and comeup data. Just be sure when you hear a number, you know where it comes from.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

John M.

I do not believe there have been any excuses given???

I have tested several of the Wildcat Bullets using bullet drop to derive BC. Many on this board have said this is to simplistic to get accurate ballistic data from. My be but it allows me to hammer chucks are +1000 yards so its close enough for me and my uses. Here is a list of the BC values I have tested using bullet drop tests.

100 gr BCFBHP...................0.420
130 gr BCFBHP(heavy Jacket).....0.500
130 gr BCFBHP...................0.550
156 gr ULD RBBT.................0.820

169.5 gr ULD RBBT...............0.740

300 gr ULD RBBT(hunting)........0.810

Soon to come will be the 175 and 200 gr ULD RBBT in 7mm, 350 gr ULD RBBT in 338, 100 and 107 gr in .224" and several weights in 6.5mm.

Your comments about the REAL bullets on the market is a bit amusing. If you do not think the Wildcat Bullets are "REAL" bullet by all means don't use them. But I assure you, every bullet I have shot compared to the Sierra MK was not even a contest ballistically.

Oh, and I would like to test some of those Cauterucio 107 gr ULD RBBT .224", 156 gr ULD RBBT in 257, 200 gr ULD RBBT in 7mm and 350 gr ULD RBBT in 338.

Wait a minute those are not REAL bullets, but the same bullet weights in Wildcat Bullets are REAL. They are sitting here in front of me!!

Keep shooting your Real bullets please so Richard can keep up with my bullet orders faster!!!

Richard is a one man opperation that offers more bullet weights and designs then any other custom bullet maker I know of. He also depends on his customers to test the bullets and find out the true BC for themselves as this is the only REAL way to get an accurate BC value.

IF you think the BCs listed from Sierra or anyone else are valid across the board you are sorely mistaken. They are all simply a rough estimate. The only way to get an accurate BC is to test in your rifle, at your velocities in your conditions, everything else is also nothing more then a prediction, just like what Wildcat Bullets is offering.

Buy some and test them if you want to make sure these are REAL bullets. Then you can tell us how they compare to the other bullets on the market.

Richard is not claiming anything. I have made vastly more claims then Richard ever has and anything I type is listed as either developed from bullet drop testing over 800 to 1000 yards or as a prediction from the die makers.

Not one time has Richard ever claimed a BC value without stating that they are a prediction, which again is all you are getting out of the Sierra listings as well as the BC will change in every different rifle, velocity or area.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wildcat Bullets...Why haven\'t BC\'s been posted?

[ QUOTE ]
If I was selling bullets, I would supply accurate BC data like Sierra.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a little diplomacy? Sierra is a big company trying to maximize profits. Allocating resources to publish BC data is consistent with that goal.

Richard is a small company trying to make the best hunting bullet (he has succeeded). He is too busy to keep up with orders right now - gathering BC data would hurt production.

I'll be measuring the BC of his bullets eventually - but it's not my highest priority. While drop tests may not accurately measure BC, they do accurately measure relative BC (which is more important). Richards bullets drop less than others - which implies they have a higher BC (or perhaps a violation of PV=nRT is going on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Kirby is right on. It's how the bullet performs in your gun that counts. Perhaps Richards bullets greatest attribute is how they work on impact - far superior to MK's - and something you can't test target shooting.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 AM

I have to admit... I have been waiting for the same thing..

Richard is a nice guy had a great conversation or 2 via e-mail with him.. but no data means none of my money gets spent... I don't have that much time/money to waste... not bitching just stating facts...

NO ONE has tested any of the 30 cal bullets????
Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

I am hoping to try out some 30s if I can get the time to load them up and shoot them. When I do I will post what I find from my .308. Don't hold your breath though, I was hoping to have loaded and fired these bullets almost a month ago. Things didn't work out the way I wanted.

But the info is coming.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
SPONSOR

If the lazy smith that has my 300 RUM will get the bbl put on it in the near future, I'll have some data on the 210s.

I've shot some of the 169.5s, and a BC of .550 seemed to fit my drop chart. This was only out to 500 yds though.