Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why Remingtom Actions?!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Why Remingtom Actions?!?!?

1. I have observed that the majority of custom rifles are built on the Remington action, why? What's wrong with Ruger, Winchester, or Weatherby? Back in the 80's, Sakko was the optimum action for custom guns.

2. I have a rifle that I want some custimization done to, where do I start? Obviously I can't say I want the least expensive...EVERYONE wants it done cheap. From all I read, the first thing to do (besides the basics like floating and trigger work) would be to change the barrel out. True?I live in Mesa, AZ.

3. How much does it take to change the .338 WM to an Edge or Lapua?

Arrrgggghhhh...so many questions and the internet isn't showing me what I want!

I live in Mesa, AZ and I know there HAS to be some good gunsmiths around here I can talk to.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why Remingtom Actions?!?!?

I can offer the aftermarket products available are nice.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I think the actions are easy to work with, and ARE the strongest action for the money. There are guys who specilize in Winchester actions which are great and strong actions as well. Triggers are readily avail for the remingtons from various manufactures, and a lot of gun makers and custom shops have the tooling avail. I also think that it is because they are so much more available the some of the others. I hear you about the Sako action. One of the, if not the finest and superbly accurate rifles that I know exists is built on a Sako Finnbear action. Anything inside of 1000 yds is in GRAVE danger! Some actions need more tuning and are harder and more time consuming, therefore, I believe that is why most are built on Remington actions ( mine are ) . I have a freind that just had a rifle blow up on him. They figured out that load in the rifle was unfortunately substituted with a FASTER burning powder. ( MUCH FASTER). Long story short, it was figured to have unleashed about 120,000 psi of energy. It pushed the bolt back, and curled the shroud, but it did not rupture. It was shown to a well known gunsmith, and was quoted to say that if it had been any other brand of actin, the bolt would have sheared THROUGH the shroud, and traveled straight back into the shooters face, with way more than just lethal force. That could be a factor . Hope this helps. Don't be frustrated, there are some VERY smart people here. ( present company excluded) LOL. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
1. I have observed that the majority of custom rifles are built on the Remington action, why? What's wrong with Ruger, Winchester, or Weatherby?
In the shooting sports, most folks choose any piece of hardware 'cause they think it's the best. They typically base their reasoning on what someone else does with it, and those who do the best with it blaze a trail that all the other "believers" follow.

Remington's model 722 round actions were used in many benchrest matches to win and set records back in the '50's. As the groups they shot were the smallest recorded, well then, the Remington was considered the best to get. And a Remington guy finally made button rifling easy and cheap to do, so the Remington barrels began to shoot very well indeed. And in all sorts of bore and cartridge sizes. This perpetuated even more folks to buy Remington centerfire rifles. Plus, Remington offered barreled actions. All the stuff that most folks choose to relate to ended up being a Remington.

Ruger rifles have never done well in the "best accuracy" and "best reliability" world; part of it's their action and the other is their barrels. Nor have the Weatherby ones for the same reasons. Yes, I know there's a few tack drivers with these names on them but they're in the minority.

Winchester Model 70 actions have always been far superior to the Remingtons for several reasons, especially for the larger belted magnums. They were favored in high power competition for reliability and being much stiffer than the Remingtons. Plus, they held epoxy bedding better than the Remingtons. But they were never offered for sale alone nor even barreled actions. Their factory barrels have been good, especially the later hammer forged ones made after the mid 1960's. But they never quite caught up with the Remingtons. I'm convinced it was the so-so accuracy of most of their factory barrels that make's 'em not popular for custom rifles.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

The remingtons are so popular because of all the aftermarket products available that support it. You can rechamber to the RUM case but will probably need to do some rail and magazine work. Wrong boltface for the Lapua. I would suggest the 338 RUM instead of the 338-300 RUM because it is slightly shorter with less feeding problems and all components are over the counter. Both shoot the same numbers.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Remington actions became popular because the design is round, where others are square. Round actions bed easier and shoot better. Today, there are many round actions. In benchrest, almost every custom action is round: Farley, BAT, Hall, Panda, Borden, Nesika, Stiller, etc.

In addition, there are numerous aftermarket parts available today based on the Remington action.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

CAPTAIN- THERE is a gunsmith at th rio salado range. others pm me. roninflag