Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why no 270-08 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why no 270-08 ?

what's wrong with the 7x57 Ackley improved, or the samething in 6.5 AI? Nothing but a .257 AI necked up to 7mm or .264.
gary
Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

What barrel length are you thinking? How light weight are you trying to achieve?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal View Post
I shoot a 270-08AI, it is hands down my favorite mid range cartridge.
In my opinion it's the best thing you can do with an 08 case.

What brass are you using Marshal, I was looking at this more last night and was wondering about going up with Laupa 260 or down with Lapua 308.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Bronze Member

I'm using 308 Lapua/Palma (small primer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
What brass are you using Marshal, I was looking at this more last night and was wondering about going up with Laupa 260 or down with Lapua 308.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
what's wrong with the 7x57 Ackley improved, or the samething in 6.5 AI? Nothing but a .257 AI necked up to 7mm or .264.
gary
Nothing for some folks. They are great performers.

But not a single one of those is 270, so I'm really not interested in them.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
What barrel length are you thinking? How light weight are you trying to achieve?
I'm thinking 20-22". I want it as light as possible, on a Model-70 S/A with minimal recoil, but still be Elk capable out to 300yds. And it's gotta be 270, just because.
I'm thinking it'll do all I expect of it, & more on this configuration.

I know most folks "get it". Just seems a lot of folks like to throw in their 2cents, without comprehending what the topic is. As long as its relevant to the task, I enjoy all the comments, experiences, & opinions that folks share. But its gotta be relevant. I dont want to beat a dead horse. Which is why I tried to steer it in one direction on my origional post. Its too easy to get de-railed, & loose track of what youre trying to accomplish when you go chasing rabbit trails every few posts.

Anyone can go get a run of the mill 6.5 "something or other". But (to me) those are for bench guys. Anyone can get a 7-08 for whatever their reasons would be for wanting one. Both are capable. BUT Both the 6.5, & the 7mm have been done over, & over, & over in every configuration possible. They've been beat to death. How boring!
I'd rather have a 270. It's cool. It hasn't been over done. & it's more than capable.
This is not intended to be a LR paper puncher type rig. Strictly brainstorming a light weight, 270 wildcat, with minimal recoil.

I want something a bit different, but still fully capable of what I want it for. I'm a huge fan of the 270, & I trust it. (Now let's see how many posts it takes for someone to go right back down the 6.5/7mm road without comprehending what this is intended to be)

I don't have the $ to do it right now anyway, but I'd like to get a direction nailed down, & start acquiring parts & pieces for when I do have the $.
Heck brainstorming the merits, & shortcomings of a build, with knowledgable folks like most LRH members is half the fun.
You'll find out rather quickly if your idea is ridiculous, or if it has potential. You'll also have a much better idea of what parameters to stay within. All this discussion saves time & money for when it's go time.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I have often wondered myself why it has never been done or hardly done.
Why? Becuase if you have the availability of the 7-08 why do a 270-08 It's almost the same thing except the 7 has a much better selection of bullets, headstamped brass and off the shelf dies. .277 vs .284 - the diff is .008

But hey, if it floats your boat (or his boat) then go for it. You should be able to get dies for about $200

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams