Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why no 270-08 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why no 270-08 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Only because I have a huge fondness for 270's, & was thinking of launching 130-140gr bullets.

Same here as far as intriguing. I Love the Lapua brass idea too!
Ya I've got powder, primers, & bullets. Brass wouldn't be too hard to score being a .308
Yeah, I've got probably close to 1K once-fired .308 Hornady Match brass from back before I reloaded. I use them for load development with my .308, so I don't waste shots on my Lapua brass.

I am a huge fan of 7mm calibers, and .257 calibers. I'm fixing to build a .280 AI to add to my 7mm collection, and hopefully I'll have a .25-06 Sendero SF barrel on it's way Monday. I replied back to the guy with the barrel's PM saying I agreed to his price, but haven't heard back from him yet. And that will be turned into a .25-06 AI or possibly another .257 Wby....I haven't made up my mind yet.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Next Question:
How much actual difference in recoil between the 270-08 & the 270 Win?
I'm guessing that the difference wouldn't be too much . Please build one and let me know.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Next Question:
How much actual difference in recoil between the 270-08 & the 270 Win?
A 270-08 with a 130gr bullet @ say 2900- 2950ish fps, with 46ish gr. of powder.
Or
A 270Win with a 130 gr bullet @ same speed but with 10-12 more grains of powder?
Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Why no 270-08 ?-re.jpg  

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

I say build one and let us know. I have often wondered myself why it has never been done or hardly done. I know what you mean how the caliber is bracketed, but hey... it would be worth a try. I think you could use the 150 class bullet with good success. Though the 130-140 pills would definitely be potent medicine. Here in PA, the 150RN is potent medicine for whitetails in 270. Works well in brush too.

I'm willing to say that the 270-08 would also be a good platform for a short barreled rifle. Use a 20-24" barrel for weight savings and carry ability. I'm liking the idea. Go for it and set us all straight!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys.
Riley, thank you for posting that.

At this point it's still brainstorming, but I'm diggin the idea!
Another build is still a ways off, financially, but this one is worth looking into a lil deeper. Too many pros, not many cons.
Wondering why? & wondering why it's not vastly more popular?

#1 priority is a light weight, light recoiling rifle for wife & daughter that is capable of taking Elk at 300yds and closer. Preferably closer, but capable of farther. This is not intended to be a LR rig. Nor compared to one. I'm quite positive the 270-08 would fill this roll very handily.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
#1 priority is a light weight, light recoiling rifle for wife & daughter that is capable of taking Elk at 300yds and closer. Preferably closer, but capable of farther.
Dear God man that won't kill an elk, haven't you been reading the internet I've come very, very close to buying a 270-308 reamer, I think your on the right track, besides a 270 cal will get you a some extra yardage because it's just better

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Wondering why? & wondering why it's not vastly more popular?
Among commercial cartridges, there really isn't another cartridge that does what the .270 Win does at normal hunting ranges. I am a bigger fan of the .280 Remington, but in factory form it doesn't live up to its potential. The classic .270 offers a combination of high velocity, flat trajectory, low recoil, and good terminal performance that places is squarely by itself.

I really think the original .270 is a well enough balanced cartridge that changing it around a bit tends to dim its virtue. I don't know how popular the WSM version is, but it is safe to say that it is nowhere near as popular as the original. The 6.8spc is basically a niche cartridge for AR's.

From a big picture standpoint, if you put a .270 bullet in a .308 case, it goes from being in a class by itself to being bracketed by well established cartridges to which it would offer little or no advantage and be ballistically inferior.

I say this by way of attempting to address the question you posed. I am not bashing your idea. I think it will do what you want it to do. Since you are a .270 fan, you will likely enjoy the pursuit. In the big picture, though, I think the question of why it's not more popular has a lot to do with the fact that most .270 shooters are pretty happy with the cartridge in its classic form. It's a Classic Coke vs New Coke sort of thing. We all know how that turned out.