Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Oh some do......but they aren't mass produced guns!
Would you say that the glass and pillar bedding done by Kimber is the same if you or I had done it?
I have recently acquired one and I cannot fault it.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Would you say that the glass and pillar bedding done by Kimber is the same if you or I had done it?
I have recently acquired one and I cannot fault it.
MagnumManiac
I don't know how you would do it but I sure would do it better than Kimber! I would make sure the pillars are flush, I would make sure there were more than one thread holding each screw together, I would not design an action with a dovetail recoil lug, and I would make sure that the glass ran the full length of the action just to name a few things. At the very least, I would make sure that when I unscrewed the action screws, the barreled action didn't try to climb out of the stock.

If you have one that doesn't do this then again, your results are unique to you.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I don't know how you would do it but I sure would do it better than Kimber! I would make sure the pillars are flush, I would make sure there were more than one thread holding each screw together, I would not design an action with a dovetail recoil lug, and I would make sure that the glass ran the full length of the action just to name a few things. At the very least, I would make sure that when I unscrewed the action screws, the barreled action didn't try to climb out of the stock.

If you have one that doesn't do this then again, your results are unique to you.
My Kimber doesn't show any of what you have stated.
Do you mean the action 'lifts' when undoing the screws with the floorplate closed and in place?The same happens with Remington actions if you don't open the floorplate first.I'm not clear on what you mean.
The bedding job runs the full length of the action,as far as I can see.I will post a couple of pics of the bedding.
MagnumManiac