close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Starkville, MS
Posts: 40
Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"

Just wondering... if everyone likes to get their rifles bedded and floated... then why don't manufacturers sell rifles that already have this stuff done to them? (e.g. kinda like how Senderos have HS stocks on them already)
__________________
- Gabe Caver

Starkville, MS
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 03-26-2008, 03:34 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Renton, Washington
    Posts: 33
    I can think of several reasons why they wouldnt. It would increase cost, less buyers, a lot of people are ok with the way the rifles come out. My dad's old rifle doesnt shoot extremely well, but he doesnt care, because he doesnt need that kind of accuracy for his applications, plus there are a couple companies who do have a gunsmith that you can order for them to do I believe. The wouldnt be able to manufactur as many guns as well. My .2 cents

    Erik
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Eastern Oregon
    Posts: 371
    Cooper Arms of Montana is kinda that way. . They have a accuracy guarentee of .5" @ 100 yard 3 shot group. Many Coopers will group below that with hand loaded ammuntion. Plus they offer different wood grades which determines the cost. The basic is the Varminter, which is what I have. They also have a synthetic stocked rifle, called the Pheonix. This stock is similar to the H-S presicion stock.

    They just came out with a repeater model. If you are willing to pay over a 1000 dollars for a rifle they are well worth it.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: on the rifle range in Utah
    Posts: 2,704
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
    Cooper Arms of Montana is kinda that way. . They have a accuracy guarentee of .5" @ 100 yard 3 shot group. Many Coopers will group below that with hand loaded ammuntion. Plus they offer different wood grades which determines the cost. The basic is the Varminter, which is what I have. They also have a synthetic stocked rifle, called the Pheonix. This stock is similar to the H-S presicion stock.

    They just came out with a repeater model. If you are willing to pay over a 1000 dollars for a rifle they are well worth it.


    While Cooper arms is one of the better quality rifles for an off the shelf gun, it is in no way bedded properly. They have just as many bedding issues as any other gun despite the fact that they usually shoot pretty well. Just because someon puts a pillar in a stock and squirts a little glue into the dovetail recoil lug does not mean that that is a proper bedding job!
    __________________
    Find it
    Range it
    Click it
    Pull it
    Dump it

    If it's not far, it's boring.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Location: on the rifle range in Utah
    Posts: 2,704
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GABR13L View Post
    Just wondering... if everyone likes to get their rifles bedded and floated... then why don't manufacturers sell rifles that already have this stuff done to them? (e.g. kinda like how Senderos have HS stocks on them already)

    Oh some do......but they aren't mass produced guns!
    __________________
    Find it
    Range it
    Click it
    Pull it
    Dump it

    If it's not far, it's boring.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Eastern Oregon
    Posts: 371
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
    While Cooper arms is one of the better quality rifles for an off the shelf gun, it is in no way bedded properly. They have just as many bedding issues as any other gun despite the fact that they usually shoot pretty well. Just because someon puts a pillar in a stock and squirts a little glue into the dovetail recoil lug does not mean that that is a proper bedding job!
    Right, its not a full bed job. Just behind the recoil lug. P.S I like your new signature, really hits home!

    Last edited by Flybuster; 03-26-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Posts: 121
    Because they don't need to

    For the majority of Mr. Average it means very little or nothing if the rifle is tuned or not. The Mr. Averages that I've seen are lucky to shoot 3" groups even with the best rigs, so why the factory would spend any extra money on something that's not needed.

    Peter
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Remington "factory blemish" rifles PeteInPA Long Range Hunting & Shooting 5 02-03-2011 05:04 PM
    Sako Y-1 "demo" rifles en4h Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 02-19-2010 11:17 AM
    What do you think about 22LR "Training Rifles" ? Down Under Hunter General Discussion 0 11-06-2009 05:58 PM
    "Magnumwill" wins the Long Range Rifles, LLC components give away contest. Len Backus General Discussion 12 10-14-2009 02:17 PM
    WTB Any "Ranger Arms" Rifles mrstoneman44 Guns For Sale 0 07-29-2008 12:37 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC