Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

Why don't manufacturers sell rifles that are "tuned?"

Just wondering... if everyone likes to get their rifles bedded and floated... then why don't manufacturers sell rifles that already have this stuff done to them? (e.g. kinda like how Senderos have HS stocks on them already)

Starkville, MS
Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Bronze Member

I can think of several reasons why they wouldnt. It would increase cost, less buyers, a lot of people are ok with the way the rifles come out. My dad's old rifle doesnt shoot extremely well, but he doesnt care, because he doesnt need that kind of accuracy for his applications, plus there are a couple companies who do have a gunsmith that you can order for them to do I believe. The wouldnt be able to manufactur as many guns as well. My .2 cents

Erik
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Cooper Arms of Montana is kinda that way. . They have a accuracy guarentee of .5" @ 100 yard 3 shot group. Many Coopers will group below that with hand loaded ammuntion. Plus they offer different wood grades which determines the cost. The basic is the Varminter, which is what I have. They also have a synthetic stocked rifle, called the Pheonix. This stock is similar to the H-S presicion stock.

They just came out with a repeater model. If you are willing to pay over a 1000 dollars for a rifle they are well worth it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
Cooper Arms of Montana is kinda that way. . They have a accuracy guarentee of .5" @ 100 yard 3 shot group. Many Coopers will group below that with hand loaded ammuntion. Plus they offer different wood grades which determines the cost. The basic is the Varminter, which is what I have. They also have a synthetic stocked rifle, called the Pheonix. This stock is similar to the H-S presicion stock.

They just came out with a repeater model. If you are willing to pay over a 1000 dollars for a rifle they are well worth it.

While Cooper arms is one of the better quality rifles for an off the shelf gun, it is in no way bedded properly. They have just as many bedding issues as any other gun despite the fact that they usually shoot pretty well. Just because someon puts a pillar in a stock and squirts a little glue into the dovetail recoil lug does not mean that that is a proper bedding job!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABR13L View Post
Just wondering... if everyone likes to get their rifles bedded and floated... then why don't manufacturers sell rifles that already have this stuff done to them? (e.g. kinda like how Senderos have HS stocks on them already)

Oh some do......but they aren't mass produced guns!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
While Cooper arms is one of the better quality rifles for an off the shelf gun, it is in no way bedded properly. They have just as many bedding issues as any other gun despite the fact that they usually shoot pretty well. Just because someon puts a pillar in a stock and squirts a little glue into the dovetail recoil lug does not mean that that is a proper bedding job!
Right, its not a full bed job. Just behind the recoil lug. P.S I like your new signature, really hits home!

Last edited by Flybuster; 03-26-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

Because they don't need to

For the majority of Mr. Average it means very little or nothing if the rifle is tuned or not. The Mr. Averages that I've seen are lucky to shoot 3" groups even with the best rigs, so why the factory would spend any extra money on something that's not needed.

Peter