Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why doesn't accuracy always hold up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 05:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Why doesn\'t accuracy always hold up?

D.C.,
Thank you for the feedback. Mind you, what you've said makes me think that the .408 CT might really do all those few who developed it say it will do at great distance, despite the fact that I've never seen anything in the way of respectable accuracy out of the things at distances as far as 600 yards save for a few fluke groups that measured sub-0.25 MOA.

Brent,
Damn, you've got a mind like a steel trap, amigo! I can't believe you remembered that I mentioned that my .300 WSM's tube has a 1:12 twist. By the way, I'm sorry I didn't get back to ya personally about the accuracy of this Lapua 185-grain load. Now you know!
Incidentally, I've gotta e-mail you some pics of some of the extraordinary 20-round groups I've managed from a prone position (using a Harris bipod and Accu-Shot monopod) with this rifle and the subject Lapua 167-grain load. You'll be incredulous. The smith (Pete Pieper @ Precision Barrel Work) who did the rifle even wants to put up pics of it along with one of these targets at his website! Imagine that!

Regards,
Dave

[ 10-28-2003: Message edited by: Houston Boy ]
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

From the obvious reasons everyone has listed here are some more for anyone shooting long range. Basically bullet uniformity is the key to exceptional LR grouping.

1. Variations in the length of the bullets bearing surface within a given lot of bullets. This will effect the bc and often give vertical. I have seen variations as much as .020 in one box of 100 sierra bullets.

2. Variance in the bullet metplats. Same as above.

3. Variance in bullet weights in a given box or lot.

There have been several very good LR smiths and shooters that long discovered and been preaching that the best way to accuracy is the "best quality and most uniform" bullets.

Right now there is a move to Flat base LR match bullets in fast slow twist barrels. BIB has a great 187 that is shooting fantastic in 1-12 and up to 1-14 twist 30 cal barrels at 1000. Several 6.5 flat base bullets are coming out this year for 1-9 twists.

BH
Old 10-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Writers Guild

Houston Boy, since you are using a good quality bullet, I will leave bullet manf out of the discussion.

What I would suggest is that the 1 in 12 twist of your barrel/muzz vel, is not spinning the bullet fast enough and the bullet is loosing stability at LR. Either increase muzzle vel or go to a faster twist and problem will correct itself. Remember that twist rate will vary even with the same numerical twist. Also, internal dimensions of the rifling will affect the true spin rate of the bullet.

Are you using the same powder? Maybe the burn rate is not suited to the heavier bullet? A change in powder may help with vel variations and thus stringing. How are the vel spreads?

Otherwise, the LR performance should be similar to groupings at ranges beyond 200yds (I like to test at 250yds) as long as wind is not a factor and the bullet stays supersonic.

Jerry