Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My plan is to build heavier rifles and pack less and shoot farther as I get older. But I will probably need help packing the meat out..

jeff
You might have to pack in 10 miles and shoot back to 8!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coues7 View Post
I think if I could get a 10lb rifle w/optics that I'd be happy.
get a 1" 6.5-20 leup add some light weight turrets; start with a 700 titanium short action. krieger barrel or equilvalent. senderos are 8.5 pounds . with the lighter scope and lighter action you should be right at 10#. the question is would you go with a 6.5, a 7mm or 300??
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Well. Ifor long range hunting you will need a rifle weight from 12 lb +.
I have my 7 rm on 12 lb and my edge on 15 lb i took so many games with the 7 up to 1000 yards andi realy love the rifle. But passing one 1000 yards on elk or heavy moose you will need all the power and weight of the big magnums and is not comming lightweight they are heavy rifle.
I build for one of my friend one rifle on 7 rm with sporter barel for under 10 lb. I shoot that rifle myself but you get to mich movement because of the weight.
Hi is lomited at 700 yards just because of the rifle beeing to light.
We are talking about long range hunting. Not bush walking around all day.
If you build a heavy rifle you have to change your hunting stiles. here up in Alberta canada we have huge open spaces along the Rockies or plain rivers.
Each zone is with his own hunting style. Some you have to walk to your shooting spot and other is walking for 1 hour and then glass open cutlines or along the river beds q.
Here is comming handy heavy rifles with 14 lb weight shooting up to 1400 1600 yards
You sill have a huge advantage over the guys with light rifles who are walking all day trilying to spoke one deear at closed range.
Or sneak on elk herd on open country is cra zy. Use your edge or big magnum heavy rifle and take long shots without spooking your elk herd from 800 and up.
Rhis year i got my cow elk usong the edge from far away and im sorry for the other guys who tried to sneak closed to them all i did is range setup and let it loose from 800 yards.
After i get her down i noticed another 2 hunters who tried to have a closed approach to the same herd of elks q they wowore packing ligjt rifle never shoot 100 yards passed and end of story i got the elk and they end up with a nice walk
Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Gold Member

As kibi mentioned we ade long range hunting site and we try to take humanly games well over regular hinte ability of shooting.
You can drive at work on prius all day on 2 will drive but the guys driving heavy trucks 4 x 4 will nevef ever get stuck on heavy snowed riads
In another worlds 4x4 sill beat all the time a 2 will drive in mud or snow
That is the reason why we build heavy rifle and shoot big manum or am rifle . Just for that big trophy game out of reach for regular hunting guy
Some of the games are smarter and never let you get closer so here is comming handy the big heavy rifle to take confident shots past 800 yards.
This is the difference between a joe hunter guy who is bragging all day about how he could get his deer or you who train all summer on past thousand yards to be confident and fit to carry and shoot your heavy rifle.
I dong want to offend nobady so please excused my above statement if i offend you but tgid is the hunting reality here in alberta.
Be able to take long shots and fill your tags or hope for one blind. Deaf deer to get closd enough to take the shot on 300- 400 yafdz
Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Sorry for spelling errors. Im using my smart phone with touch screen and the keyboard is realy small to type fast and without spelling errors.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

On my deployment to Afghanistan every time we left the wire, our packs alone were 100lbs. Not counting the 65 lbs of protective gear, along with the 16.5 pound rifle, which is the light 1 btw.

It won't matter 1 bit if it's a long or short action, if everything you have is as light as money can buy. If you don't train for this, it will always be difficult. You could leave that 12lb rifle at home and still struggle hiking with the 50 lb pack. The problem isn't the weight, its your preparation.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

When you get into your late 50s, your opinions may evolve. Particularly when you hunt geography and terrain that can only be accessed by backpack hunting. For example, there aren't many roads in Alaska. And even 4-wheeler ATVs can't navigate up many river cuts in the mountains. If it's a hassle getting into the country being hunted, it only gets much more physically demanding coming out with a harvested game animal.

Lastly, I just enjoy myself more when not carrying around a 12lb + rifle. I agree that lighter rifles are more challenging to shoot and connect with at long range. Doesn't mean it can't be done.