Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

I just got back from my Coues deer hunt here in Arizona and I WILL NOT pack a 12.5lb rifle anymore! With my pack (Eberlestock), 80mm spotting scope, Swarovski LRF, carbon tripod and head and a few other miscellaneous items, I am packing around an additional 50lbs.

I know the forum is very diverse when it comes to location of hunting, but our here in Arizona, you simply cannot kill "good" buck hunting the roads. So when I'm covering 5-7 miles a day packing around 50lbs of gear it gets old real quick.

So the question is: Why do we, as long range hunters, build rifles that are so heavy? What benefits are there? If we do our homework and practice we shouldn't need to be taking repetitive shots that would heat the barrel up. Do we really gain that much stability and accuracy from having a 12lb + rifle?
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM
PUBLISHER

I think this is an important discussion question.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

Why are you giving the rifle all the blame for a 50 pound pack? The most you can expect to gain from the rifle is about 4 pounds. That still leaves you packing 46 pounds.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

We helped a guy put together a rifle that weighed just under 6#'s so he could run with it to his hunting spots. It was a very specific group of components. I would say if you went with an ABS carbon wrapped barrel, a good muzzle break in cromoly steel instead of stainless, aluminum rings, aluminum base (EGW), the titanium Extreme action, and a high carbon fiber content stock, you could have a rifle that weighs half of what you have. But caliber choice is going to be the caveat. You won't a supper heavy caliber. Even with the muzzle break it will still recoil quite a bit. That means for animals such as Elk you will have to close the gap some. Instead of 1200yds, you may have to go to 900yds. I personally would pick a caliber like a WSM that could theoretically get you to 1000 even for elk. A 7SAUM or 270WSM with 175 Matrix bullets, or the 300WSM and the new 215 Berger. However with all this innovation comes cost as well. I would say you would still be looking at a rifle that would easily be $6000 to $8000 dollars with having lighter components. But you would still be able to shoot just as far now that I talked myself into it again!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

i havent been in the long range game too long, but from what i have seen in other things i have done, light weight = more cost and sacrifices some accuracy because it will flex more. Even the titanium flexes a lot more than the steal will if there the same size. It is 45% lighter though.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

From owning several LR rigs I feel that 12# is about the lightest I want for shots at 800 plus. For one I don't want a barrel lighter than a Sendero type contour. I feel the lighter barrels can suffer from harmonics and barrel whip. Plus I want thet barrel 28 or 30" long. This makes most of them come in at 12 to 12 .5 lbs with bipod and scope. There is no doubt the heavier rifles have less recoil, easier to stabilize solidly on target and keep there durring the recoil. Not to mention the added weight makes spotting shots easier too.

The difference between the lightest rifles and a 12 lb rig is probably 4 or 5 lbs. I guess before I worry about the extra 5 lbs of the rifle I should worry more about the 15 or 20 lbs I need to loose. I know which weight is making me more accurate. There is a reason the competition rifles are heavy and are often classed by weight.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

I lug around pretty close to 40 lbs (gear, food, water, extra clothing, etc ...) 5-10 miles going up, down, and round MT wilderness ... and I never blame it on my 12+ lbs rifle. Get into better shape to make the would be challenging hunt more manageable.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.