Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why does Barrel fowling spoil accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Why does Barrel fowling spoil accuracy

1st groups today were tight with my 6x284,after 20 rnds last group of the day ( Same load) were greatly expanded. If I was shooting a 308 I'd still be getting tight groups well after 20 rnds. Both cartridges bbls collect copper. Why is the one more sensitive then the other ? On Military Channel there was a story of a sniper making critical long range hits all day long with his sniper rifle. He didn't stop to clean it ? My 6x284 has a Cut rifled Brux bbl ?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why does Barrel fowling spoil accuracy

Some shoot just horrible until there are several "fouling" shots down the tube, then accuracy improves. With most the copper and carbon build up and become imbedded in the grooves, causing changes in the pressure exerted by the bullet until it reaches the muzzle.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

On Earth, we manage our fouling, and barrel life.
And a 6x284 ain't a 308.

-Tubb's FinalFinish
-Bore scope
-Verified cleaning to white metal
-Dry pre-foul & bullet coat with WS2

That'll get you 'all day long' which won't be many anyway.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

"On Earth, we manage our fouling, and barrel life.
And a 6x284 ain't a 308. "

Just about spit my coffee out. LMAO
Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

the answer is pretty simple... but the majority of folks are going to be in the "just don't get it" category... but here goes anyway... :o

It's a barrel time issue. The actual time the bullet spends in the barrel has EVERYTHING to do with how accurate you shoot.

A fouled barrel will result in more friction and slower barrel times.

If your use my method of load development (OCW load development, see link at bottom of my post), you'll come up with a much more stable load that will shoot well longer before a deep cleaning is necessary.

Also, as mentioned already, the fast 6mm bullet from the 6/284 is not a .308. It's going to shed copper faster, and all else being equal foul the barrel faster.

If your load is well developed, you will find that your cold, clean bore shots will touch, or nearly touch your follow up shots, and you'll shoot longer strings with good accuracy before you need to clean.

Realize too, that your barrel is getting hotter with the 6/284 than it will with a .308...

The diminutive, pedestrian, ho-hum .308 still has some advantages to offset those often touted disadvantages... ;)

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

That OCW link was some good reading, thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

I have some guns that shoot really well on a clean barrel, and others that just don't seem to care. After 5k rounds through my 22-250 I now let it go for 200 shots or more before I clean it and it'll still shoot .75 MOA I just clean it because I just feel like I've neglected it after that many rounds. I have a Savage that won't shoot well at all until it's had 3 or 4 "foulers" down the tube, but it'll only hold it's accuracy for a max of 20 or 30 shots before groups start to open up.

I've only had two guns that seemed to not care how dirty they were and both had extremely high round counts. It seems like the more they get shot and worn out the less it mattered. When they were both new they were picky about getting cleaned every 20-30 rounds so I don't know if the barrels finally just smoothed out or what caused both these guns to care less about fouling the more rounds they had down the tube.