Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why do you use SMK bullets for big game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why do you use SMK bullets for big game?

Thats going to leave a mark.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Cause ,

They go where I point them , and I point them at the proper place to bring about rapid expiration. That way I don't have to look for them in extended sessions.

So far ,my experience says that "if shot through both lungs" my game will expire within 3 to 4 seconds . Yes , I realize that in that seeming small amount of time they can go a long ways ,but , it is not further than a small search will reveal .

If the meat is not paramount then put one well executed shot in its neck just behind the ear. Then,go load it up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At long range it is my intent to drop it where it stands or miss cleanly. Small target zones will aid in this and besides if you are involved to this extent you are probably well versed enough that there is not going to be a " miss '

Jim
Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 AM
SPONSOR

OUCH!!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

I have never used a SMK on big game. I have shied away from it because of a concern of adequate bullet performance. Rufous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart boy!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
SPONSOR

What amazes me is that last year I would have been on the "SMK's are no good for game" side of this debate. Now after seeing what those 240gr 30cal did to BJ's buck I definantly think there is a place for them in big game hunting. I would still rather use a bullet that is designed for hunting but when a SMK is all that is offered with the high BC's we all want you just have to shoot what you have to shoot. This is where WildCat bullets fill the gap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I dont think the SMK is great for people trying to kill varmints at long range. I would think that a 140 6.5 bullet or a 110gr 6mm would simply zip right through a pdog or chuck at 1000yds. But then again I have never tried them at those ranges so I am just guessing. I think Uncle B and GoodGrouper used SMK's for their 1500yd kills, maybe they will tell us if there was any expansion.

I think as long as you have some decent velocity behind these bullets you will be great on big game, the pics prove it.
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Smart boy

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you care to share your experiences with a properly placed SMK failing to do its job? Maybe a picture of a deer you had to shoot 3 times to put down that had 3 pencil holes through it or a deer with a softball sized entry wound because the SMK blew up on a shoulder shot and never got inside to break bones.

By all means expand on your position. Your opinion counts and will be respected but not a jab like "smart boy" after we have had testimony and pictures to back up the other side.

Lets get it out in the open. This forum is all about sharing information. If there is something we should know then speak up. Why do you feel the SMK is a poor choice. And don't tell me that there are other bullets out there. Tell us why the SMK does not or will not perform well for you.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smart boy

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you care to share your experiences with a properly placed SMK failing to do its job? Maybe a picture of a deer you had to shoot 3 times to put down that had 3 pencil holes through it or a deer with a softball sized entry wound because the SMK blew up on a shoulder shot and never got inside to break bones.

By all means expand on your position. Your opinion counts and will be respected but not a jab like "smart boy" after we have had testimony and pictures to back up the other side.

Lets get it out in the open. This forum is all about sharing information. If there is something we should know then speak up. Why do you feel the SMK is a poor choice. And don't tell me that there are other bullets out there. Tell us why the SMK does not or will not perform well for you.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir:

From a personal standpoint I can not offer any experiences on Matchkings and their performance. Now as far as my friends go I do have some. Some were acceptable but most were disasters.
One 5x5 bull elk shot in the shoulder at about 75 yards or so with a Matchking. Have no idea what happened since it was never recovered. Individual gave up after about 3 miles of tracking in knee deep snow. This is one of the unacceptable examples. The other was a Matchking from a 308 on an antelope buck at about 200 yds. The whole jacket was found under the NEAR hide and the lead portion exploded the lungs. This was barely acceptable to the hunter and totally unacceptable to me. My buddy still has the jacket of that Matchking. Again fellas these are just some of the examples that I have seen. Anyway my philosophy is simple. Why use them if Sierra says not to (They should know they make them) and at the same time there is a plethora of phenomenal hunting bullets out there. In my opinion this is just asking for trouble.