Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why do snipers use .308 with so many other options??? What is best re

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Why do snipers use .308 with so many other options??? What is best re

Hi all, as you may have read my other post I am looking for new varmint gun... also considering a new larger calibre. I currently shoot 7mm Rem and am considering 7mm STW.

Mainly I want the calibre that provides the best coeficient, etc and mos accurately repeatable results OFF THE SHELF, and from there, grow my ability with it... tune my loads, smith the gun, etc. But I want to begin at the best starting point.

What I cannot comprehend, is why say, the best shooters in the world, with UNLIMITED resources (military) choose the calibres they choose. I mean... humans are or would be considered large game, so the parallel could be drawn between their game and mine... deer, bear, boar, etc.

Well when i look at it the 223 and 308 are not as flexable as even my 7mm, and on paper the data on those rounds would not appear as good, yet those shooters OFTEN rely on their weapons in EXCESS of 1000+ yards! Why?

Not that I could DREAM of that shot, but in wanting a gun with the ABILITY of providing the absolute most repeatably consistant accuracy for large game... What would that gun be? What would you all choose???

I cannot provide those results now, but enjoy the shot as well as hunting. What calibre provides the best results, all other things being equal???

Thanks ALL, as always! Rod
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why do snipers use .308 with so many other options??? What is best re

you have to remember that the U.S. military dictates what rifle is to be used, but it is true that many sharpshooters, long range target shooters use the .308. The 308 is an inherently accureate cartridge due the the shape of the case and the pressures it runs at... 30 cal is a very popular calibre among shooters because there is a huge variety of match grade ammo for it (308 seems to be the most common factory produced match ammo). Hathcock used a 30-06 to do most of his sniping, primarily because that is what the Army gave him to use. The 308 wasn't as popular in the military as a sniper rifle yet. Hathcock also favored the 300 win mag for his compatition shooting. A little food for thought.
britz
Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Hathcock used a 30-06 to do most of his sniping, primarily because that is what the Army gave him to use. The 308 wasn't as popular in the military as a sniper rifle yet. Hathcock also favored the 300 win mag for his compatition shooting. A little food for thought.
britz

[/ QUOTE ]

Hathchock, was not given anything by the Army as he was in the Marine Corp....
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Rod,
I just had a conversation with a SDM (Squad Designated Marksman) and his sniper buddy just a couple of weeks ago.
There's a couple of factors why they use the .308.
First, the .308 (or 7.62) is a NATO military round..can get hold of some in a pinch if need be.

Secondly, and probably most important - the Fed. Govt. (i.e. military, FBI, etc.) has done TONS of ballistics studies on the .308 and know how it will perform under almost any given condition....shots through plate glass, shots through canvas, steel, whether the weather is hot and humid or cold and dry....you name it. For police snipers, having this data to back them up when they go to court for blowing a big hole in a perps. head helps their case hold up.
The .308 ballistics aren't necessarily the best, but they're well-known. Most snipers either count clicks for yardage or hold up/over (that's what my SDM buddy does).

I can put you in touch with my SDM buddy if you want to get more info. on this subject. He's active on SnipersHide.com and is a wealth of knowledge regarding sniping. He and I and few other guys from the site are getting together in a couple of weekends to do some shooting on a 1,000 yard range and I'll bring up the subject again to see what else I can learn.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Why do snipers use .308 with so many other options??? What is best

What superlite 17 said....plus

I have been to counter sniper LEO shoots where guns of the "spared no expense" were competing in competition. These are some of the best guns LEO depts can afford. In the end, in the sudden death at unknown ranges when the shooting stopped, only the .308's were left shooting. There were countless examples of other reasonable cartridges and some, were officers personal weapons but....again...last man standing was the .308 Winchester and the last guns competing down to the last were all .308.

Highly developed match bullets wherein the bullet companies have all but spared no expense to develop the very best 30 cal match bullets possible. Same with the match loading for .308 More effort and money has gone into the .308 Winchester refinement, than ANY other U.S. cartridge for accurate long range shooting, over quite a period of time.

Paul
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

woops, I guess I should have remembered since the book is Marine Sniper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Bronze Member

BUT... is the 308 the most inherently accurate cartridge available??? Ballisticly speaking??? Was so much effort put into this cartridge because it is inherently accurate or because it is NATO?

SURELY there is test data available (even if i cannot find it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) as to which of the projectiles performs the absolute best. I mean surely this is considered when developing new rounds... for example Ruger had to know that with the 304 they were producing an excellent performer before even the firs die was cast... based solely on drag, velocity, coeficient, etc. I REALLY do not understand physics... but kinda grasp the CONCEPT of physics.

Which projectile is that "ultimate performer", or projectiles, surely there is info somwhere that say, given all same variables there are one, two, three calibres that will slice through wind/elements etc at their given velocity better than any others. I, through research was able to come up that the 7mm was good, if not excellent when i bought it... actually through data found here. But, I want to find the "BEST" and build my rig and skills around it. And I just cannot find that data anywhere.

HELP!