Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Not a matter of hate---there are just better bolt rifles out there. Kind of like a Chevy 350 engine and a Honda 2.0 liter. Easy to find aftermarket parts to do whatever you want to one. There is a reason for that btw...

Yes, there are better bolt action rifles out there. Most of those cost 3-times what I paid for my first-generation A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. Within the same price range Brownings are among the best available. They tend to shoot better than out-of-the-box Remington 700s and look much nicer than Savages. A Sako 85 is a better rifle than the Browning A-Bolt, but not by much and the cost of the Sako is much more. The same can be said for a Weatherby Mark-V, nicer but more money. Yes, the custom & semi-custom rifles now available should beat any production rifle, but that comes with a price.

I have & have had bolt-rifles of many makes so I'm not one of the people who say the first rifle I bought is the only brand I'll ever own...

The "SLAM" Browning takes on sites like this one is these rifles are normally not the optimal basis for a custom build. Barrels are loc-tited on and custom stocks to fit are few & far between. A 3-lug bolt can be more difficult to get "perfect" than a 2-lugged bolt (but when it's right, it's a thing of beauty). That said, the custom builds based on A-Bolt actions I've seen have been rifles I would love to own.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

"My wife did however, nearly kill me with a malfunction on that rifle. We were bear hunting, she was behind me with one up the pipe locked and loaded with the safety on. We were on our final stalk and we knew we were very very close in tight on that bear. When we next saw the bear we were about 8 or 10 feet from him. The old lady snicked off her safety (she was directly behind me and slightly to the right) and the weapon discharged into the ground. That's
about as close as I want to come untill the good lord calls me home"

If thats the only time your wife ever "almost killed you" you have a pretty good relationship.

"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne
Old 08-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Bronze Member

My brother has had a BLR in .325WSM and it would shoot .75" groups as long as you could take the recoil. He just bought an Xbolt also in .325 and has gotten even better groups. His BLR was stolen. We shot it at 250yds and were getting 1.5" groups(blr) and he popped a coyote at just over 300yds. I love them but also like my Rem Model Seven.