Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

I have come across on several occasions regarding how bad Browning Firearms are. I was just wondering why people feel that way. What is it that makes Brownings such terrible guns. The price for brownings are pretty high, so why aren't there guns good. I purchased a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm and i have pulled a few real nice groups at 300 yards with it. I was just curious on why people feel that brownings rifles aren't any good. Im no browning fan im just wondering would it be smarter to sell it and replace it with say a remington or tikka.

I own 2 Remington and love them as well pulling off some nice groups there.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why do people hate Browning Firearms so much

I don't know about rifles but I only shoot Browning shotguns and I love them. I have two Superposed Lightning O/Us. And Two DoubleAuto twelvettes, and one BPS pump. All are Belgium made except for the BPS.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I have come across on several occasions regarding how bad Browning Firearms are. I was just wondering why people feel that way. What is it that makes Brownings such terrible guns. The price for brownings are pretty high, so why aren't there guns good. I purchased a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm and i have pulled a few real nice groups at 300 yards with it. I was just curious on why people feel that brownings rifles aren't any good. Im no browning fan im just wondering would it be smarter to sell it and replace it with say a remington or tikka.

I own 2 Remington and love them as well pulling off some nice groups there.
I do not think it is hate really. More the fact that there is almost no aftermarket parts for Brownings like the remington and clones.

Try finding an extended mag box or DBM for a Browning?

Go to the Brownells website and try to find an aftermarket stock for the Browning.

You are looking for things that do not exist normally.

So why start a build or buy a gun to build on later with no parts?

BH
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

so your saying its not so much the gun itself, its more the intension down the road people have that take them away from the brownings.

I originally wanted to take the 300 and custom it but once i got the browning due to cheap price, so im think i should semi custom my remington 700 7mm instead.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

I have a Micro Medallion in .284 Win.

First of all, the mag is too short to allow the bullet to be seated anywhere near the lands.

Second, the machine finish in the barrel was atrocious. It fouled so bad, so fast, that I nearly sold it. It would pile up the copper so bad that ripped patches and hours of pushing blueberries were the norm. I paid to have it "lapped" only to find out later that it pretty much just got a scrubbing with JB's bore paste. Eventually it seemed to smooth out and would hold at 1 to 1.25" groups at 100. My dad loved it, and never really shoots, so I gave it to him.

I did kill my best black bear to date with it, and my son, his first antelope.

I like the 60 bolt throw, and the trigger seems pretty good. Just scared of buying another bad barrel.....
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 AM
Silver Member

Their customer warranty service is on top of the industry. I've been there and seen good barrels and actions being tossed to the can, just because a client said it would not make nice groups.

I love their shotguns, all of them. have a few.

never owned a browning rifle, because there are no aftermarket parts, I cant leave anything well, alone. I'm always trying to better things.

seven rifles and not a single one browning, though I have shot a few of them, just have not been impressed with the accuracy. my last rifle was a brand new savage in 300wsm, my dad bought a browning and my brother bought a rem700. I had to sight them all, and the savage was the most acurrate(with its simmons 3-9X40 package scope). all of them in 300wsm. same ammo on the three. just luck I guess.

joe from mexico
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
I don't know about rifles but I only shoot Browning shotguns and I love them. I have two Superposed Lightning O/Us. And Two DoubleAuto twelvettes, and one BPS pump. All are Belgium made except for the BPS.
Ya' can't compare Belgium made Brownings of 'yesteryear' to their modern made arms, it's like comparing apples to coconuts.