Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Who is using the Barnes Triple Shocks? / Like them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Who is using the Barnes Triple Shocks? / Like them?

J. Jones,

I have been shooting the 115 Gr. Triple Shock in a .25-06
Sendero at 3,250 FPS. I Shoot .5 inches at 100 yards with this load. I have shot some Whitetails here in Ar. & Antelope/Mule Deer in Wyoming. In each case, the wound channels were impressive along with complete penetration.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Yes buy a box now!! I have tried them and they beat the heck out of the XBT any day of the week. All my rifles are factory other than triggers and bedding and I get at least 1/2 inch or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards. They work great on any game and as far as one said that they are not longe range bullets BULL! I took 3 whitetail this past season at over 300 yards and the bullet worked perfect. Not the first one left where it was when the bullet hit him. I have had no trouble with the TSX getting good accuracy as long as you keep it 30 thou of the lands. I use other bullets and at long range they dont work as well as the X bullets IMO.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Wapiti 13
At long range, heavy bone is what you should want to impact and if the Barnes bullets petals stay on unless they hit the bone, then I don't believe them to be a good long range performer.
As I said, if your 20 deer and elk were average shots (under 400 yards) then that bullet might work for you, and nothing I say will ever change your mind. However, if you are talking long range (600 plus) then Barnes will let you down sooner or later guaranteed!

Barnes brags about how the Triples react the same as the XBT's on game, but are way more accurate. I have seen that to be true. Coni Brooks (owner's wife) brings me bullets that have been fired in their water tank once a year and I'm always wondering how they think a water tank under controlled conditions simulates bone and flesh. Sure, her bullets she brings look fine, but they also look totally different than the bullets I tested at different ranges in dry and wet phone books. Very rarely do I have a Barnes have more than two petals still connected! That is like shooting a full metal jacket which is illegal in my home state!

Say what you will, and do what you will, I have proof of true long range kills on this forum, and I stand behind my bullet choice and my choice ain't Barnes! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

I don't want to rain on your parade 7RUMloader, and please don't take this the wrong way but since when is 300 yards a long shot for a 7 Ultra? This forum and topic are about LONG RANGE HUNTING with Barnes and no one yet has had any proof that they work at extended ranges! A couple guys have talked about their accuracy at 100 yards which I know can be good with Triple shocks, but this topic was supposed to be about how Barnes WORK at long range. 300 yards to me is handgun range, and is absolutely no challenge with a scoped 7 Ultra! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
If you want to talk about Barnes bullets at a measly 300 yards, I think RED RIDER/Daisy has a forum on their website!
Pull it
Dump it

Old 02-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Tom Van,
Your right on the money baby! NO Appologies needed!
Pull it
Dump it

Old 02-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Like others have said the Barnes are a close range heavy game bullet period. The design in itself will not work at long ranges. Its a great heavy game bullet for moderate distances and much of its performance will depend on impact velocities. Out past 500yds even the most powerfull magnums do not deliver enough impact velocity for full expansion so what you get is a bullet which reacts like a full metal jacket and just pencils through. You might as well be shooting arrows. Look at the photos provided by barnes and the 400 yd bullet does not even expand greater than the diameter of the bullet. If you call that performance your asking for trouble. Also the razor sharp petals are not razor sharp and do not provide any cutting advantage over conventional designs. This is pure marketing hype. I also find it interesting they fire them into a water tank. Don't get me wrong they are a great bullet for their intended purpose its just not a long range bullet. My guess is that the new accubonds and inner bonds will eventually prove supperior for long range hunting purposes.

Lance
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote-"The X-cavity in the Barnes Triple Shock bullet has been redesigned to allow for controlled, reliable expansion over an even broader range of velocities. This same technology has also been incorporated into the entire Barnes X-bullet lineup, including the X, XLC, and TSX bullets. The main difference is the addition of 3 to 5 shallow grooves in the shank of the TSX design. These grooves reduce the surface area of the bullet in contact with the bore, and provide a place for material displaced by the rifling to expand into. This “relief valve” allows the bullet to travel down the bore without major distortion as the bullet is engraved by the lands and grooves. The result is reduced pressure and fouling, increased velocity, and better accuracy. Our results in the lab and feedback from thousands of customers all show that the TSX bullet is the most accurate of the three X-bullet designs."-end quote. I just found the above information in the Feb 2005 Barnes newsletter and thought you all would find it pertinant.