Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Where is my pressure coming from?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Where is my pressure coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
And probably some bunny rabbets have been killed with a 375 H&H. Does that make it too large for bunnies?

I still dont see why some dont just go to a 50 Browning and get it over with...unless of course they wont have anything to brag about or chew the fat over.

There IS such a thing as "overkill" whether some wish to believe it or not and go thru the record books and see how many alaskan brownies were killed with the lowly 30-06. Ya dont HAVE TO try and dispatch animals at 2 miles distance

Good point, for a minute there I thought we were on a long range hunting forum! Thanks for the reality check....

Explain the concept of "overkill" to me because obviously I don't understand.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Hey mike...why haven't you shot a antelope with that .50 cal your dad has? You are not using all of your overkill capabilities!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
And probably some bunny rabbets have been killed with a 375 H&H. Does that make it too large for bunnies?

I still dont see why some dont just go to a 50 Browning and get it over with...unless of course they wont have anything to brag about or chew the fat over.

There IS such a thing as "overkill" whether some wish to believe it or not and go thru the record books and see how many alaskan brownies were killed with the lowly 30-06. Ya dont HAVE TO try and dispatch animals at 2 miles distance
Why do big guns piss you off so bad? No body said a 30-06 wouldnt do the job. A 375 is only .067 bigger in diameter. Why does it male a difference. And if you want to shoot rabbits with a 375 i fully support it. I recommend head shots though.. if i ant to kill elk deer and antelope that's my prerogative. There is no such thing as overkill. Im not blowing animals in half... just because you dont have the undercarriage to shoot the big magnums we who do can do so if we so choose.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Why do big guns piss you off so bad? No body said a 30-06 wouldnt do the job. A 375 is only .075 bigger in diameter. Why does it male a difference. And if you want to shoot rabbits with a 375 i fully support it. I recommend head shots though.. if i ant to kill elk deer and antelope that's my prerogative. There is no such thing as overkill. Im not blowing animals in half... just because you dont have the undercarriage to shoot the big magnums we who do can do so if we so choose.
Good point!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Im not blowing animals in half... just because you dont have the undercarriage to shoot the big magnums we who do can do so if we so choose.
Awesome!!!

Have you measured how much swelling your getting on the case head at the pressure ring?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

I used to work with a guy that the only rifle he had to hunt with was a 375 H&H. He said it was actually less destructive on deer than an 06. If you can use it to good effect then by all means have at her.

The only time I have an issue with folks going to a bigger cal is when they try to use it as a band aid for their lacking marksman ship skills.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Actually I have probably seen more lost meat from a high velocity 6mm than a 338. But in the end I feel meat loss is directly related to bullet placement more so than bullet size. So I will go with Mike here and go for the too dead method.

Jeff