Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

That WAS a perfect example of being completely blind, to the "writing on the wall". It's nice to finally be back to my senses. I be chillin now, so you CAN let out that sigh of relief!

Anyways, the stock is a Choate "Utimate Varmint" for savage long action (#24-06-02). I HAVE fired about 10 rounds out of my savage 7mag using it, and I cannot overstate how much I like it. It IS a (very stiff) heavyweight (rifle weighs just under 13lbs with stock, sling, bipod, scope, & factory 26" sporter barrel), and that's exactly what I like. But given how wide the cut-out for the barrel is, it doesn't exactly look right with a narrow contour barrel sitting in it. Anyways, it's in perfect condition, with everything that came with it, including the box. I've seen them going for "new" prices on ebay, when you figure in the shipping. So I wouldn't expect to see much of a loss, in going THAT route. But if someone has one for rem 700 long action (#24-01-12), that would like to trade (even-up) for the one I have, let me know.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Thank God!

what he said^
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Just purchased another stock.

Since the 84300 will be arriving in a few days, I went ahead and ordered the choate #24-01-12 (fits R700LA) stock. It wasn't looking like the trade offer was going anywhere, anyways. At least not within the time frame that I needed to work within. I AM tempted to just keep the other one on the sav 7mag, because it is soooo much better than the factory stock. Although I do have somebody that is really hounding me to sell him the sav, he isn't willing to pay the additional 150 that I would expect out of it with the ultimate varmint stock included. At this point, I'm resisting the idea of selling it, but if he does eventually "break" me, the stock WILL be going up on ebay.