Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

Give Jim Briggs a call at northland shooters supply, he's helped me on many occasion's. Heres the link to his contact info. Contact Information for NSS (Northland Shooters Supply))
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Wow, that was a quick response. Thanks! P.S. - Looks like I was WAY off on the last name. Now, let's see where THIS one goes!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Well shut me DOWN, Jimmy! I just got hit with a strong (over)dose of reality, on the true likelihood of actually finding what I am looking for. The bottom line is: Unless I'm willing to accept having a single-shot (target) action, and spend 6 hundred to get it (plus a barrel), or buy a new 338L (that not cheap either, OR what I want), I'm simply NOT going to find a savage long action that fits large shank. But I'm taking it in stride, and trying to figure out where to go from here. It's actually a good thing that I made that (phone) call. Because man was I going buggy, and really stressing, at the same time. As for the 2 hundred that I have already spent on a savage stock, I'm still trying to mentally - let it goooooooooooo...
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

If you could find an older model 116 (I believe this is right) they were long action large shank. I've had one in a 300 ultra and I've seen a couple in the last year or so for sale. You might try gunbroker or one of the other gun auction sites.

I love savages but sometimes it can be a hastle.

Nathan
Old 07-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

About 1.5-2 hours in a truing jig on a lathe and your problem would be solved easily and cheaply, why not just open it up if your so concerned about building a RUM on a small shank! A couple years ago I passed up on two Savage 116 RUM's for 300 dollars a piece I won't pass on them again!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sent you a pm on a possible action for your build.

Nathan
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddodd View Post

I love savages but sometimes it can be a hastle.

Nathan
Seriously, YOU'RE telling ME that?? After spending dozens upon dozens of hours over the last few weeks (and add to that the 4 months that I waited, on the standard shank savage barrel that never was to be) on finding the action that I now needed, with SQUAT to show for it - never even got past square 1 - NOBODY could possibly know that more than I know it right now!

You know, I at least USED to think I loved 'em, as well. But with my brains about feeling like scrambled eggs right now, I barely can think. Hold on a sec - I really (seriously) do need to go pour myself one (well, maybe 2), and toss it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
About 1.5-2 hours in a truing jig on a lathe and your problem would be solved easily and cheaply, why not just open it up if your so concerned about building a RUM on a small shank! A couple years ago I passed up on two Savage 116 RUM's for 300 dollars a piece I won't pass on them again!!!!
The reason I won't do it has to do with the heat treatment (tempering) that the steel undergoes at the factory to make it stronger. An opened up action will be weaker, unless it undergoes the same treatment as the factory ones, AFTER it is opened up. Oh, and according to what I now believe, you won't have the opportunity to pass on 2 rums again. Hey, wait a minute. I'm seeing that somebody has sent me a PM. I gotta go...