Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

Does savage or remington (or anybody - FTM?) offer ANYTHING along those lines (by long, I'm talking 30"[if not, what about 28?])? I don't have the necessary resources to go the custom route. Or am I flat-out SOOL?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Where can get a long-barreled 7RUM, without having to go "custom"?

Well Max i think you are out of luck with that ,,,,,only Remington makes that cal. and they only make it in a 26" barrel. You would have to go custom.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Call the Savage custom shop, you can get most combinations put together if they have ever built it and they did build a Model 116 in 7RUM, I have a barrel sitting here from one that I spin on my Model 12 for fun.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Silver Member

That's strange. I don't see ANY RUM offerings in ANY calibers on ANY of the savage models listed on their site! I'll have to see what the custom shop says, I guess. But I hear that folks are paying a grand for those rifles. Would I just be better off going remington non-custom? They have 7RUM available in some of the 600-700 dollar model series. If loosing 4" saves me 4 hundred, maybe I COULD live with a 26" barrel. It looks like those are the 2 options that I have then.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Tough request. Cheapest way is going to involve an after market barrel. If you could find a used Rem that is chambered for a RUM it might be the least expensive route.

Don't rule out the post 64 Win model 70. (push feed) I built my 300 RUM on one. The brass fits past the feed rails without modification, something a non RUM Rem 700 cannot do. I did add a wyatt's mag box but I that with the 7 RUM I once owned too. IMO the OEM magazine is too darn short in either model rifle.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Since I've already spent 200 on a stock, I'm now locked into long savage action only. And with the fact that factory barrels only go 26", my (final, I hope) decision is to get an aftermarket (largely shanked) 7RUM barrel of my liking. But that is the EASY part. The one thing that everything else is now dependent on, is obtaining a savage long action that was designed from the factory to accept the large shank threads. I will NOT consider having my standard shank action opened up to fit the large shank, or purchase one which has been "converted" to the large shank. So what I'm NOW looking for is a bit less complicated, but not necessarily easier to find. Anyone want to trade their LS-SLA for an SS-SLA, plus some cash? Or sell an LS-SLA for straight-up cash?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

I wasn't really expecting to hear what I just heard. I JUST got off the phone with someone representing Savage's "custom" shop. I asked: "Would it possible for me to get a Savage action, possibly including a barrel, that is set up or chambered for the 7mm remington ultra magnum round"? Her reply was: "I'm sorry, but it is not". Well, it looks like THAT lead ended up in exactly the same place all of the others have led to so far - a DEAD END! And now I can't find where I saw the email address for that guy who supposedly sells the largely shanked savage long (and also short) actions. I'm pretty sure that his first name is Jim, and I think his last name might be Davis, or something similar to that. Does anybody know who I mean, and how I can contact him?