Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

When Do You Give Up On A Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 AM
Bronze Member

When Do You Give Up On A Rifle

I have been reloading for a 7 rem mag for several years. Bought it used. Had it glass bedded & trigger adjusted. Redding Type s full length bushing dies. Tried 8 different bullet/ powder combo. Just shoots MOA w/ Leupy 3-10 CDS. It has a slight burr on case shoulder in chamber. Sent to smith but still there. Just not as bad.
My problem is reloading. Last year experienced case head separation after 2 reloadings that feed stiff. Ordered new brass.
Shot ok with virgin loading. However, I am having difficulty sizing for smooth feeding. I can set the shoulder back with no improvement. I sent 5 fired cases to redding that they sized and results were the same (3 cases).
I covered sized brass from redding and my sized brass with a black marker to show contact points with nothing conclusive.
Any ideas on what to try next as far as reloading? If I would sell & buy a new rifle what would you recommend for Mule deer in Colorado? I am thinking about a 6.5 or another .284 with NO BELT!
Then which rifle for around a grand? Thanks in advance LRH members!
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Atheism
Do Not Fear Education
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When Do You Give Up On A Rifle

I think that there is probably something seriously wrong with the chamber. If what you've been doing hasn't fixed it I would say re-chamber.
If you sell it I would probably go to a .270 WSM or 7 WSM if you can find it in a Winchester coyote light.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

If the chamber or barrel is bad you will never get it to shoot good.

It sounds like you have a bad chamber or head space.

I would recommend putting a new barrel (Premium) on it and have a new chamber cut for it.

You should be able to get the action trued, new barrel and chamber done , and stay under your budget.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
If the chamber or barrel is bad you will never get it to shoot good.

It sounds like you have a bad chamber or head space.

I would recommend putting a new barrel (Premium) on it and have a new chamber cut for it.

You should be able to get the action trued, new barrel and chamber done , and stay under your budget.

J E CUSTOM
+1.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder, what did you have the smith do? Did he true the action and bolt etc.

I assume you are not in love with this rifle so a new one might be better and you can sell it to fund a new one. I saw a Remington 700 BDL at Walmart last night for 777.00. Weird number huh?

If you like it, just rebarrel it and have it trued up. I think the local smiths do a nice rebarrel for around 600 with some bolt truing. The thing would shoot well and feel awesome with some good smith work.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Sale the rifle and pick you up a Savage rifle in your favorite caliber. If you want a 6.5 cal go with the 6.5-284. Better yet if you can find you a used Savage rifle especially if it has the accutrigger cheap then order you a Shilen pre-threaded and chambered barrel in either 6.5X55 or 6.5-06 and screw it on yourself. It only takes a minimum of tools that don't cost much. Savage is the tinker toy for big boys.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

what rifle??