Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

When the bullet goes transonic/subsonic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

I think even more impressive, is his hit on a Vietnamese General at 800(+or-) yards with his sniper issue Model 70 in 30-06. After, I believe, 8 days or so just getting THAT close. No walking that shot in. No spotter. No more General. mtmuley
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

sonic transition

I can't even carry the books written about aeronautics and ballastics, much less understand them. But I did see the darndest thing one day that relates to your question.

Several of us had been shooting at a target at the other end of the field, 710 yards away. Our host said that he was going to shoot it with his 45-70 pistol. Being rather impressed at his abality with a 338 Yogi, I wasn't going to question his sanity, besides he had a loaded pistol and I didn't.

He laid down and got ready. I got behind him with his Licea spotting scope to call his hit. He adjusted his scope and took the shot. Dirt flew up at about 450-500 yards down the field. He adjusted the scope and fired again. Same result. He adjusted up all the adjustment he had and still hit in about the same area. He held over on a tree in line with the target until he couldn't see the tree in the bottom of the scope. He still hit in the same area. Finally his wothless spotter decided to watch for the trace instead of just the point of impact. I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched his bullet get to about 400 yards and suddenly veer up and to the right then make a big clockwise circle until the bullet dug into the field at about 500 yards. When I told him what I saw he didn't believe it either. He took the spotting scope and had someone else shoot the pistol and he saw it happen too. Everytime it took the same path and hit in about the same spot, directly below where he was aiming. When he got home he ran his calculations again and sure enough the bullet would go sub-sonic at about 400 yards. Evidently the short stubby bullets responded very badly to the turbulence and went a bit wobbly.

I decided that trying to get a bullet to go sub-sonic with any predicability may be a bit more of a challenge that I was up to. Good luck if you go there.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

BPCR silhouette shooters shoot 45/70's and hit very well past 400 yds,we have a Billy Dixon shoot and a buffalo at 1200 and 980 yds.The bullets are in the 400 gr region and reach the target or close to judging by the dirt flying consistantly.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Isn't the BPCR for rifles? I don't think that a pistol will develop the velocity needed to maintain stability. But maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But I do know what I saw, and I saw it repeatedly. Then Eric saw it too. But it could be something else causing the bullet to go out of it's projected trajesctory at about the point where it went sub-sonic. I don't know for sure. Maybe that it being a pistol intended for normal ranges it had a slower twist and the bullet wasn't any too stable to begin with. Don't know.