Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Whats up with savage???

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 292
Whats up with savage???

So on a frill I decided to take the kids to Dicks Sporting goods and have a look around. It's probably been 2-3 years since I stepped foot into that store, maybe more. I wandered back to the gun area and was looking at a savage heavy barreled model I think it was a 11 VT maybe. Anyway what are they doing to the barrel nut design???? I've noticed they are putting smooth barrel nuts on these rifles now. I always thought they were known for the nut design and the ease of removing barrels. I would think the fairly priced wrench is a little more feasible than a strap wrench??? Just wondering if you guys are in the scoop.
http://localshopping.indystar.com/De...ailerId=-99270

Also on a side note what is the poop on the Rem 783 they came out with? Are they following the Savage trend? It would be nice if the barrel dimensions would be the same as savage for that 783 with all the savage barrels floating around ;) . Pretty soon all firearms manufactures will be making the same thing. Where's the originality anymore? I guess this is more of a gripe post lol. Just picking your brains.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/476.htm
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Napoleon,MI
Posts: 997
Re: Whats up with savage???

The smooth nuts are not much harder to remove. One just uses a pipe wrench on it, then throws it away. The slotted nut is only $15 from various sources so one can put a decent nut back on. It is possible that someone thought of trying a different "styling" trick so that the nut is not so obvious. Perhaps Savage thinks it will discourage folks from swapping barrels and order custom rifles from the factory ? Who knows what they were thinking, snorting or smoking...

I personally think that Savage has cheapened up the model 11 to the point is it nearly an axis. Dis you see the plastic "bottom metal" and the plastic magazine ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Re: Whats up with savage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsnest2002 View Post
So on a frill I decided to take the kids to Dicks Sporting goods and have a look around. It's probably been 2-3 years since I stepped foot into that store, maybe more. I wandered back to the gun area and was looking at a savage heavy barreled model I think it was a 11 VT maybe. Anyway what are they doing to the barrel nut design???? I've noticed they are putting smooth barrel nuts on these rifles now. I always thought they were known for the nut design and the ease of removing barrels. I would think the fairly priced wrench is a little more feasible than a strap wrench??? Just wondering if you guys are in the scoop.

Also on a side note what is the poop on the Rem 783 they came out with? Are they following the Savage trend? It would be nice if the barrel dimensions would be the same as savage for that 783 with all the savage barrels floating around ;) . Pretty soon all firearms manufactures will be making the same thing. Where's the originality anymore? I guess this is more of a gripe post lol. Just picking your brains.
Pretty sure Savage has flirted with the smooth nut before. It does make things a little more interesting since most probably don't have a wrench for the smooth nut. I hear wheeler now sends one for both types when you get theirs. At any rate you can yank them with a pipe wrench and just put the old style on. Nothing has changed but the looks. Although I have notice that the no accutrigger side bolt release models now seem to have the smooth nut as well. Used to be more or less just on the new guns with the bolt release in the trigger guard.
__________________
Romans 12:12
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Re: Whats up with savage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
The smooth nuts are not much harder to remove. One just uses a pipe wrench on it, then throws it away. The slotted nut is only $15 from various sources so one can put a decent nut back on. It is possible that someone thought of trying a different "styling" trick so that the nut is not so obvious. Perhaps Savage thinks it will discourage folks from swapping barrels and order custom rifles from the factory ? Who knows what they were thinking, snorting or smoking...

I personally think that Savage has cheapened up the model 11 to the point is it nearly an axis. Dis you see the plastic "bottom metal" and the plastic magazine ?
Didn't notice that had messed with the bottom metal as well. A friend of mine just bought one. I'll have to take a look at it.
__________________
Romans 12:12
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,606
Re: Whats up with savage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
The smooth nuts are not much harder to remove. One just uses a pipe wrench on it, then throws it away. The slotted nut is only $15 from various sources so one can put a decent nut back on. It is possible that someone thought of trying a different "styling" trick so that the nut is not so obvious. Perhaps Savage thinks it will discourage folks from swapping barrels and order custom rifles from the factory ? Who knows what they were thinking, snorting or smoking...

I personally think that Savage has cheapened up the model 11 to the point is it nearly an axis. Dis you see the plastic "bottom metal" and the plastic magazine ?
or simply buy a good quality pin type spanner wrench and then use the old nut over again
gary
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Re: Whats up with savage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
or simply buy a good quality pin type spanner wrench and then use the old nut over again
gary
Sharp Shooter Supply does sell a really nice wrench for like $45 that will do both types of smooth nuts. I think it was probably the older type that actually had nothing you could get a spanner wrench on. I believe the newer variety have a hole in them at some point so you can use a spanner.
__________________
Romans 12:12
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Henderson,Nevada
Posts: 201
Re: Whats up with savage???

If you can't beat them, join them. Rem saw that barrel nut as a good thing and copied Savage. Also other gun makers are coming out with their own version of the accutrigger.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC