Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I was thinking 1/10????
Would I use a heavy VLD such as berger 230 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Use the 175. In a short barrel you will be better with moderate weight bullet and a moderate burning rate powder. With a long barrel, a slower powder and heavier bullet will be better. If you are not going to shoot into the transonic ranges then you should look at the Berger and other 155s.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Use the 175. In a short barrel you will be better with moderate weight bullet and a moderate burning rate powder. With a long barrel, a slower powder and heavier bullet will be better. If you are not going to shoot into the transonic ranges then you should look at the Berger and other 155s.
Thanks. 155 was what I had in mind. a lot of info out there from palma style matches.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
So unless it's dead calm, high bc will win out over low bc at long range with all else equal. e.g. bullet uniformity/balance, shooter ability.
Shooting off my shoulder, I'd rather shoot bullets 20% more accurate than higher BC ones that buck the wind 20% better. I can compensate for wind when it changes. I can't compensate for less accuracy. Besides, higher BC bullets typically have more recoil and that means they're harder to shoot accurately.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Shooting off my shoulder, I'd rather shoot bullets 20% more accurate than higher BC ones that buck the wind 20% better. I can compensate for wind when it changes. I can't compensate for less accuracy. Besides, higher BC bullets typically have more recoil and that means they're harder to shoot accurately.
I agree. 20% more accurate is a significant difference.

As to more recoil... it's all relative. If I were stepping up to a larger cartridge and higher BC bullet in order to shoot farther without being transonic, I might also be looking at a rifle with a little more weight, a brake, and a bipod. That may not be an option for a competitive shooter with caliber, weight, and brake restrictions.

-- richard
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
As to more recoil... it's all relative. If I were stepping up to a larger cartridge and higher BC bullet in order to shoot farther without being transonic, I might also be looking at a rifle with a little more weight, a brake, and a bipod.
I'm talking about the recoil that effects how accurate one can shoot, the recoil of the bullet going down the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I'm talking about the recoil that effects how accurate one can shoot, the recoil of the bullet going down the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, it doesn't matter.
I agree with your premise that accuracy and recoil are significant factors. But, at increasing distances, LouBoyd's comments about velocity and BC still win out over transonic performance.

What bullet/load data would you be using in a 308 to compete against a 338 Edge +P at 1750+ yds? I don't think it would be much of a contest.

In spite of recoil, I'm betting on the Edge being supersonic and the 308 being transonic. And, the 338 will win with a higher BC bullet.

-- richard