Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
The alternative to shooting transonic is to use higher BC bullets, more case capacity, and long barrels.
The advantages are:
lower wind deflection
flatter trajectory
more terminal energy
better accuracy even if the transonic bullet remains stable.
I agree with all except the last one.

Higher BC bullets does not mean you'll get better accuracy. Bullet accuracy's determined by two or three things; how uniform its weight and shape is and how well balanced they are. If all leave the muzzle at the same speed and muzzle axis angle and there's no external forces applied to them, they'll all go in the same hole.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post

Higher BC bullets does not mean you'll get better accuracy. Bullet accuracy's determined by two or three things; how uniform its weight and shape is and how well balanced they are. If all leave forcethe muzzle at the same speed and muzzle axis angle and there's no external s applied to them, they'll all go in the same hole.
True. But, external forces exist. So unless it's dead calm, high bc will win out over low bc at long range with all else equal. e.g. bullet uniformity/balance, shooter ability.

Also as LouBoyd stated, the low bc bullet will become transonic sooner than the high bc bullet (assuming equal mv). Plus, better transonic stability isn't going to improve accuracy relative to a bullet that doesn't become transonic.

So, bc rules for LRH. Nonetheless it's fair to ask, what if you could have your cake and eat it too?

-- richard
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
The 308 is also one of the cartridges that I am interested in. I have been testing the 155 grain HBC bullet at 1200 yards out of my 24" bull barrel. This has given me some interesting results.

However the odd bullet that bites the dust has lead me to search for a better bullet to make it to the target more consistently.
Ill be interested as well. I'm building a short barrel .308. Key is getting the bullets to stabilize out of the shorter tube.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
No, that's not it.

This bullet is very new and isn't in the system just yet. It will be available thru the Berger store and other re-sellers soon.

-Bryan
You shooter app for the Droid is Amazing. i was going to write an App as part of my graduation project for school but you did everything I wanted. You need to get your app on the kindle. Thanks for all the work you do so guys like me don't have to ware out ten barrel doing trial and error.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Ill be interested as well. I'm building a short barrel .308. Key is getting the bullets to stabilize out of the shorter tube.
It's easy. Use a fast twist.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
It's easy. Use a fast twist.
I was thinking 1/10????

Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Higher BC bullets does not mean you'll get better accuracy. Bullet accuracy's determined by two or three things; how uniform its weight and shape is and how well balanced they are. If all leave the muzzle at the same speed and muzzle axis angle and there's no external forces applied to them, they'll all go in the same hole.
If all bullets left at the same speed and there were no external forces appled to them shooting competition would be very boring.

I was only talking about supersonic VLDs versus transonic non VLDs at long range. I suppose there are cases where a transonic non VLDs could have lower time of flight giving less vertical stringing and lower lag time giving less wind deflection. It would have to have a higher muzzle velocity.

Do you ever choose to shoot bullets which will be transonic at the target?