Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

The old M118 special ball bullet which was a173 gr FMJBT was stable through the transonic. The bullet was made by the Lake City Arsenal and is not to be confused with any SMK. You can probably find a few on Ebay. They were also loaded in 30-06 as the M72. Why they were stable is not clear to me but I believe the boat tail was very shallow. The dies that were used to make the bullet wore out and the QC became erratic and production was terminated.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 03-31-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
How do you measure "transonic". The most aerodynamically efficient bullets are secant ogive, high BC, notwithstanding the caliber.
Gene,
What I am interested in is bullets that can go from supersonic speed to sub-sonic speed and still maintain a high degree of accuracy.

This is important when shooting calibres like the .308 that can go sub-sonic when shooting out near 1000 yards.

A lot of VLD type High B.C. bullets are easily upset going through the transition. A less aggressive bullet may be better in this case. The question is which one?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

I cannot answer your question. Perhaps an aeronautical engineer could. I suggest you contact Bryan Litz at Berger bullets. He would be the best authority to respond. The answer might be in his recent book.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Topshot, short answer- in Your .338cal, try the lapua 250gr lockbase.
Long answer- projectiles with relatively short length and shallow angle boat tails or no boat tail at all have better stability throughout their flight, particularly transonic. Finer meplat dia helps also as does a better transverse to axial inertia ratio.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
Topshot, short answer- in Your .338cal, try the lapua 250gr lockbase.
Long answer- projectiles with relatively short length and shallow angle boat tails or no boat tail at all have better stability throughout their flight, particularly transonic. Finer meplat dia helps also as does a better transverse to axial inertia ratio.
Groper,

I will check them out.

How long till your projectiles are ready for me to test?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Silver Member

Still waiting for bill to get back to me on the 338's ...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:10 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with Gropers assessment of what geometric and mass properties are good for a bullet's transonic stability.

A recent example of such a bullet is the Berger 175 Tactical OTM which I designed specifically for transonic stability:
308Tactical

Increasing twist rate can help a little, but the biggest outside influence is atmospherics. Many bullets that are not transonic stable at sea level are so at 3000+ feet elevation.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting