Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

Hi,

I am interested to finding out your ideas on what type of bullet design is best suited to survive shooting through the transonic barrier.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Whats the most stable transonic bullet?

I'm not sure what help this will be to you, but it might be worth looking at the bullets used by long range black powder shooters. I haven't gotten around to actually doing it, but a while back I was asking questions about the old 45-70 round and how anyone managed to hit anything accurately with it at extended ranges, when clearly it was going to go subsonic less than half of the way there.
Apparently certain bullet shapes are much preferable to others, and a quick search would probably turn up the top contenders for you. Obviously they are very large bullets, 450gr at the low end, and they don't start out very fast, but they do start out above the transonic zone and quickly transition into it, and then through to subsonic velocities, within the first several hundred yards of thier flight.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

I'm writing a research paper for a school project on this. Over the summer I will be testing a host of 30cal bullets from a .308 win. As this is arguably the most common "LR" caliber and has a huge range of bullet types and weights.

I will closely be following this thread as i will within the next couple months begin extensive testing. I will then try to draw a conclusion as to physical aspects of a bullet at keep them stable when going transsonic.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

If I was gonna take a guess (and that's all I'm doing) I would say that bullets with a higher rpm would be effected more. Maybe that's why a big slow 45-70 round can be so accurate past it's transonic range.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
I'm writing a research paper for a school project on this. Over the summer I will be testing a host of 30cal bullets from a .308 win. As this is arguably the most common "LR" caliber and has a huge range of bullet types and weights.

I will closely be following this thread as i will within the next couple months begin extensive testing. I will then try to draw a conclusion as to physical aspects of a bullet at keep them stable when going transsonic.
The 308 is also one of the cartridges that I am interested in. I have been testing the 155 grain HBC bullet at 1200 yards out of my 24" bull barrel. This has given me some interesting results.

However the odd bullet that bites the dust has lead me to search for a better bullet to make it to the target more consistently.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post

Good luck with your research! I will be very interested in hearing the results.....Rich
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

How do you measure "transonic". The most aerodynamically efficient bullets are secant ogive, high BC, notwithstanding the caliber.