Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What's do you think the best all-around cartridge...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

What's do you think the best all-around cartridge...

...for hunting all of North American big game at long range is for you? That would include: deer, elk, bears, moose, caribou, sheep, goat, pronghorn, and possibly Mountain lions.

For me, it'd be undecidable between the .280 AI or the 7mm WSM and the .300 RSAUM or .300 WSM.

What would you choose?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: What's do you think the best all-around cartridge...

You did say "all-around" cartridge. Your answer has been around for over a hundred years. 30-06 ....

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

If I could only pick 1 caliber for the rest of my life, it would be a toss-up between the .280 AI, 7mm RemMag, and 7mm STW.

You add long range into the factor, say 800-1200 yards, I would easily go with the 7mm STW with a 1:9 twist, because you could load it with lightweight bullets for varmints or deer, or big heavies up to 180gr for up close for bear, etc... And for long range deer and plains game.

So, I guess if I could only choose 1 caliber for LR, it would be the 7mm STW with the bug heavy 180's and a 1:9 twist sendero/varmint contour barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

300weatherby then I could get done everything I had to just some animals would have a little more damage than others but all would be very dead
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Something in .338 would probably be the easiest choice and would be more than enough for everything there. Personally, I would probably choose a 300 RUM or Win Mag simply because it will take every single animal listed there at any distance I would care to shoot one. I would probably lean towards the RUM just to push the heavies a bit faster, but any of those calibers would do the trick.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

I have gone through lots of cartridge hunting over the years , I have always had a few different ones on hand ,and usually one for a sheep rig. I have finally gotten rid of every thing I owned from customs to factory rifles ,and went with a Cooper 280AI for my plains long range rifle ,and a semi custom Kimber Montana in a 280 AI for a sheep rig . I figured I would get the best of both worlds, and the 280 AI seems to fit the bill , it is close to a 7 Mag without the recoil thus no break required. With the 280 AI I would not hesitate to shoot anything out to 800yards in relative good conditions , you could load up some 168 Bergers for large stuff ,and 120-140 for the smaller game . Just my opinion thou, and the 280AI seems easy to load for, and is mild to shoot but has legs to get out there due to the large selection of high BC bullets. I am sure that there are many who will disagree as they like the big magnums but like I said I don't like loud breaks or recoil so I think I have found a great compromise .
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod79 View Post
I have gone through lots of cartridge hunting over the years , I have always had a few different ones on hand ,and usually one for a sheep rig. I have finally gotten rid of every thing I owned from customs to factory rifles ,and went with a Cooper 280AI for my plains long range rifle ,and a semi custom Kimber Montana in a 280 AI for a sheep rig . I figured I would get the best of both worlds, and the 280 AI seems to fit the bill , it is close to a 7 Mag without the recoil thus no break required. With the 280 AI I would not hesitate to shoot anything out to 800yards in relative good conditions , you could load up some 168 Bergers for large stuff ,and 120-140 for the smaller game . Just my opinion thou, and the 280AI seems easy to load for, and is mild to shoot but has legs to get out there due to the large selection of high BC bullets. I am sure that there are many who will disagree as they like the big magnums but like I said I don't like loud breaks or recoil so I think I have found a great compromise .
I think if I had to take the magnums out of the equation it would be the 3006