Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Whats the best rifle for building a 338LM on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 09:40 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: Whats the best rifle for building a 338LM on?

Fascinating, Darryl. What happened to the barrels in these cases? Was the damage confined to the actions?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Here are some loads I just been shooting with the 30-338 Lapua Imp during some testing with a really powder fouled barrel... in the 700 action. Peak PSI has the last two zeros dropped, so 75,000 PSI reads 750 under the "Peak" column.

Cases were all sticky coming out, bolt lift and extraction were also stiff. Primers had craters about .010 - .020" tall too! Don't use these loads!

250 rounds ago, most of these loads were plenty mild to shoot, but after not cleaning for over 75 rounds, pressure and MV had risen to unacceptable levels.

After cleaning, pressure dropped about 6,000 psi on these loads, but not all the way to where it had been. So, it's my best guess, that some roughening of the bore has occurred and forcing me to drop back on the powder charges I first started out with that had been in the low to mid 60,000 psi range.

After a good break in period, I've seen a few barrels require the loads to be reduced just like this one, and possibly for the same reason?? Something to be aware of...

At any rate, I'd still like to see for myself what PSI it takes to get one of these actions to fail.

The bolt is contained parallel within the bolt bore. Therefore, for that reason alone, only ONE lug tearing loose, that just makes no sense to me at all.

I do not know much about P17's or any of the Mauser's, but I know they were not all created equal in strength, and that is just common knowledge. I like to know every detail in a situation like DC described about, and there are many of them that are sadly left out. For this reason, not a whole lot can be learned from this "expensive" account.

I will post pictures and all the details of the destructive testing I do, and I'll use another action to verify the first ones failure level and location... This could get expensive... However, it seems no one is really interested in laying this out for the public, and it's something that should have been tested time and time again in REALITY, then published.

A good place to start seems to be these 240gr SMK I have and 4831 then. It may take a 338 cal bullet to blow it up though, any bets?

Youngun,
Can you run the numbers and tell me what pressure should cause the lugs to yield, and what pressure they should shear.

The receiver diameter is about 1.35" in diameter. With that, you could figure the point the barrel the receiver ring should yield, and where it should fail. If you need the case diameter to figure the pressure vessel's wall thickness, it's .585" in diameter.

[ 02-22-2004: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Len

The barrels held except back where the barrel screwed into the threaded area of the action. That area was partially blown away on a couple of them and I'm not sure which ones right now.

I also received an Email from a fellow who knew Bill quite well and he agreed with my posts as to the way Bill liked to test an action to the max.

Brent
Not all factory actions are created equal either, even from the SAME manufacturer. This is common knowledge.

You "will" blow or lock up your Remington action if you use the same loadings as Bill did and the 250 gr bullets. You will not be able to use that action anymore.
He (Bill) did it to see what held the best and the old Enfield held up the best, in his testing.
Keep in mind, there were no custom actions in the test or I'm sure they would have held MUCH better. This is especially true of the tough, Hall G and Bat actions manufactured today.

Your already getting "major" pressure signs and stiff bolts with 92 grs of a slower powder.
Go with 105 grs of 4831 or 4350 and and a 250 gr bullet and see what happens in your tests?

Don't be anywhere near that gun when you pull the trigger though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It would be interesting to see how the new Sako 3 lug held up in a comparison test. I don't think to many of us have a new action laying around for such a test though.

If your so confident about the strength of your Remington chambered in the 30 Lapua, try that test "right now" with 105 grs of 4831 or 4350 and a 250 gr bullet and see what it does? I'll send you some 250 gr MKs to try.

By the way, when the front of the actions blew out on "one side" it did cock the bolt on an angle and a lug was sheared. Sorry I don't have any pictures for you.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-23-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 02-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

If the pressures are as high as I'm thinking they will be, no person in their right mind would use it again after subjecting it to that. I will wait to test the 721 first.

I would take you up on the 250's if you believe it will make a differnce over the 240gr. I don't think it much matters really, might amount to 2-3gr more powder maybe??

This action is nearly ready to be fitted with the block and into the BR stock. We bought my gunsmiths buisiness and he's finishing up the last rifles this week and next. The work on this rig is already paid for by way of trade, so I've got to get it to him in a week or two at most in order to get it finished. My wife has been patiently waiting for me to get done "playing" with her rifle for.... months now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'll find another 700 for cheap to make a comparison with, and yes, both will be unusable afterward. I wouldn't donate my Sako either, let the idiot doing the testing buy one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don't use Sako's so I'm not too interested in that part, it would still be interesting.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Need an address to send them?

Later
DC
Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

HC02 Box 7686-C
Palmer AK 99645

Thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'm in Ohio at present and will be going back to PA in the next 3 days. I'll send them as soon as I get back.

Later
DC