Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Whats the best cold temp bolt lube ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the best cold temp bolt lube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Moly does build up to some degree but that is not a down side . Even the build up has a lower coefficient of friction against itself than against the metal of the bore or bullet . The slight build up is the protective lamellar structure forming that makes it work . Those that continually clean it out get no real benefit .
It amazes me that some people say they are going to use moly to coat the bore but infact clean so often that no real coating can take place .
I was thinking about coating bullets when I wrote that, apparently this stuff cleans out really easy and doesn't build up so you wouldn't get fouling like you can with molly, but for the moving parts I agree a little thicker film isn't a bad thing at all, thinking that a guy could probably apply it dry with a Qtip or something. Not sure but it's worth a try.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've been using rusty duck synthetec grease for years in light doses and it's been great. Temp. isn't an issue here; I'm running a but low and they don't make it anymore. I've shot in below zero temps and the stuff is fine. Btw, I shoot with a dry firing pin assembly and trigger assembly. Grease on lugs, bolt body, and extraction cam only.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

I know it's not a bolt issue but just as important ... I was out at the Rocky Mountain Front yesterday elk hunting and ran into a hunter that apparently he was out the day before, which was a lot colder, and his trigger froze ... bull elk got away. Bummer!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I know it's not a bolt issue but just as important ... I was out at the Rocky Mountain Front yesterday elk hunting and ran into a hunter that apparently he was out the day before, which was a lot colder, and his trigger froze ... bull elk got away. Bummer!
Two years back, I lost a nice, old, big-bodied, Saskatchewan bruiser, because I put a few drops of WD-4- in my trigger (idiot). It froze up and wouldn't budge at only -5 Fahrenheit.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
We had some sticky bolt issues in Wy last week. The temps got down in the teens or lower and we had some extremely stiff bolts. It was almost to the point where I thought I had head space issues or some debris was lodged in my throat. I could barely close the bolt. Both guns where using TM ultra grease, and very little. I would've never believed that a bolt could be that stiff. Any actual cold weather experience would be appreciated.

P.S. On a side note: I think when it's that cold and\or wet, it's good idea to dry fire your rifle to" potentially" break the firing pin free. That almost cost us an elk, even with a custom bolt. The firing pin didn't completely engage the primer and my buddy had to re-bolt, and thankfully the second time it fired. It was cold and snowy, with lots of moisture. I think it just froze up a little.

Thanks Brent
Weatherby uses powdered graphite in extreme cold weather rifles
gary
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Weatherby uses powdered graphite in extreme cold weather rifles
gary
Actually thought about that, but I don't know anyone that's used it on their actions. I guess if weatherby uses it, its worth at least trying.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
Actually thought about that, but I don't know anyone that's used it on their actions. I guess if weatherby uses it, its worth at least trying.
might be worth the effort to find out from them exactly how they do it, and perhaps what formula they are using.
gary