Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Whats the best cold temp bolt lube ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats the best cold temp bolt lube ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
Or is that the stuff you're talking about Joe?
No tungsten sulfide, is like moly but without the downside of it adhering to it's self, so it doesn't build up

*** WS2 Oil. Your tungsten disulfide supplier. - Home

http://www.amazon.com/BadFish-Piranh...hu-rd_add_1_dp

Seriously thinking about getting some to try out
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

WD-40 makes a GREAT solvent, but not a good lube at all. WD-40 leaves a sticky film that attracts dirt and, contrary to the instructions, will just gum things up more badly. Cold weather will make it even worse. Don't use it as a lubricant.

I've used WD-40 to get nasty crud out of some of my guns. It works wonders on powder fouling, and the fact that it's an aerosol is nice too.
BUT any time I use it, always make sure to flush it out with (drum roll please).............................. BRAKE KLEEN!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
WD-40 makes a GREAT solvent, but not a good lube at all. WD-40 leaves a sticky film that attracts dirt and, contrary to the instructions, will just gum things up more badly. Cold weather will make it even worse. Don't use it as a lubricant.

I've used WD-40 to get nasty crud out of some of my guns. It works wonders on powder fouling, and the fact that it's an aerosol is nice too.
BUT any time I use it, always make sure to flush it out with (drum roll please).............................. BRAKE KLEEN!
I'll second that notion!!!! I don't even get near my guns with WD-40. if it gets in your trigger, it turns to asphalt when it gets Cold. As was mention earlier, when it's very cold, no lube is better than anything.
A few years back, my uncles bolt froze on him early in the morning, as he left his gun in the truck overnite. He tried to shoot a doe a little after daybreak, and the hammer would not fire. He pulled the bolt, and put it inside his overalls for a few minutes, while the deer was having her last breakfast!!!! A few moments later, he tried it, and BANG, dead deer.
The spring was " gunnked" with WD40. A little brake clean, and all better. Another thing that can be used that works very well to degrease, or to remove lube is Ether. Regular diesel starting fluid will flush it away in no time flat, but do it outside. It evaporates , and leaves no residue, or smell. Hope this helps!!!

P/S, if you do use Brake Kleen, use the GREEN can. The red canned stuff leaves a film, and smells too. The GREEN can, seems to flash off cleaner, no residue, or smell.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
No tungsten sulfide, is like moly but without the downside of it adhering to it's self, so it doesn't build up

Amazon.com: BadFish Piranha Powder (WS2): Sports & Outdoors

That sure seems like interesting stuff. Looks like it either has to be blown on ( at 120psi) or mixed with another lubricant.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Just bought some of that piranha powder. I like trying knew things, especially when they're only 16.95. If it doesn't work I've got plenty of fishing reels I can use it on.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post

Amazon.com: BadFish Piranha Powder (WS2): Sports & Outdoors

Moly does build up to some degree but that is not a down side . Even the build up has a lower coefficient of friction against itself than against the metal of the bore or bullet . The slight build up is the protective lamellar structure forming that makes it work . Those that continually clean it out get no real benefit .
It amazes me that some people say they are going to use moly to coat the bore but infact clean so often that no real coating can take place .
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

I spray my bolts with a light coat of Ballistol. Never had a problem.