Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What are you using as your 'walkabout' rear rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Gold Member
Re: What are you using as your \'walkabout\' rear rest?

All: Thank you for the ideas.

If any of the 'sand sock' advocates has the patience....

I know this is dull, but;
Why a 'sock'?
Why not -for example- a rectangle of cloth folded and sewn around the edges?
Is the stretchiness of the sock bringing something to the quality of the rest that a cloth bag doesn't?

Unread 06-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

[ 06-11-2004: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]
a whisper from this little friend of mine goes a lot way.
Unread 06-11-2004, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Although I don't have one at the moment, I would very much like to get one of these:

The only downside I can see is that you would have to install another sling stud if you want to mount a sling.

It folds away when not in use and can be regulated for different heights. There are also several different height models.
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Gold Member

you don't need all these gadgety things, a good idea is to take a piece of the sleeve from a set of BDU's (combat jacket for us Brits) about 3 inches in length, sew one end up completely, then about 1 inch in sew it across again, the an inch further sew it up, but just leave a little gap to get some sort of beads, granules or rice or dreid peas in there, put a few in, handfull will do. now sew up the gap, and sew up the end, now fold the thing together and sew the ends together, turn inside out and slip it on your sling,, this sits nicely on the sling just up from the reas swivel. you now have a minature sand bag that you can grip tightly or less tightly depending on the height and it works.
Brownm Dog, socks are popular cos they are green or black, easily available, and one can just tei a knot in em,, no sewing needed.
I have forgotten what all these shooting possitions are called,, mind is blank. Ive used the butt in the dirt one extensively, ive also used the lay on yer back, raised knee and rifle over body one often too. a favorite of nime when i am on a downward slope and want to shoot to the opposite slope but higher up the hill, is to straddle the bipod (harris the longer one) either side of my body, lay back and shoulder the rifle.. this works real well, because on a steep slope it is a pain in the ass to lay down slope and shoot up across at the other side of the valley. you guys follow me,, its ben a long day Pete
Occupying the British Zone.