Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What are you using as your 'walkabout' rear rest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

What are you using as your \'walkabout\' rear rest?

My ‘walkabout’ pocket-size rear-rest has, for the last couple of years, been 2 short sticks bound with zinc oxide tape (2 pictures shown below) that open out to provide a surprisingly steady rest –using it with my newly acquired AWP groups have varied between 0.19 and 0.62MOA!

Whilst they’re good for static targets, they are a little frustrating for quick changes in aim left/right or up/down and –over a series of shots- they tend to dig themselves in spoiling the hold on target

I don’t imagine that you’re all walking around with sand-filled leather bags.

What are you using as a ‘walkabout’ rear rest?

Old 06-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: What are you using as your \'walkabout\' rear rest?

I use a "sand sock". Receipe: take 1 pair of old pantyhose. Cut off both feet above the ankle. Fill one with polly pellets (small plastic pieces used to fill home made dolls--found in craft stores). Tie it off. Stick it in the other pantyhose foot and tie the second one off. This dual coating allows it to slide around for easy adjustment. Put this in a small sock or take a big sock and sew it up--like it was for a AAAA size foot. Tie off the sock and cut off extra.

This makes a relatively small, light rear rest the does not absorb water. In use, squeeze it with your weak hand. Very fast to reposition and adjust.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:19 AM
PUBLISHER

Giles

I have always felt guilty about just throwing away a pair of my old panty hose. Dave King isn't as fussy as I am so I usually send mine to him when I am done with them and he gets a couple more months of use out of them. But your idea is good and using it will make me feel better about prematurely jettisoning my old panty hose. Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Len

I thought we agreed not to discuss where I was getting those things and what I may or may not be doing with them!

I make "sand socks" out of the bottom(s) (foot end) and sell the tops to folks down town for head gear. They're one size fits all and if a fella has a really small head they double as a turtle neck warmer scarf type affair. I also got rid of those extra large pants you've been sending me, the local school kids really took to wearing those things and now it seems a national craze.

The sand socks work well, they're relatively light and won't rot. I'm thinking about making a smaller version by using panties from those Barbie Doll cloths garage sales (can't bring myself to stop just yet, maybe I'll stick a large set over my head and chance it one day).
Old 06-04-2004, 04:24 PM
PUBLISHER

Ooooh, that really hurts! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Len, Dave -have you chaps got that out of your system now? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What are you using (as a rear rest, not pantyhose!)?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:55 PM
PUBLISHER

Brown Dog, you actually want a serious answer? Ok.

I use DK's sand sock idea which is to fill one sock with beads or in my case cocoa hulls and then stuff this sock inside of a second one to get a tighter fit. Works well for me.