Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What should I do with my savage 270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM

What should I do with my savage 270

My savage 110 has a 22" sporter barrel, acutrigger and a crapy stock. It does shoot Moa. I bought it cheap for a project. I want to change the barrel and stock for sure. Just don't know if I want to stay with the 270 . I like to shoot a lot when I shoot. It will be primarily used for coyote hunting and targets out to 700yards. Should I keep the barrel for now and use it up, or what can I do with the 110 long action? If I change caliber it will need to be easy on the pockets as possible.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What should I do with my savage 270

For coyotes and some deer.....Only 1 solution I can think of...

26" 1:8 barrel chambered in 6.5 Sherman.

You already have a bunch of .270 Win brass sitting around, right? Well, lucky for you, the 6.5 Sherman forms the best out of .270 Win brass. All you have to do is get some 6.5 Sherman dies, size and load some .270 Win brass with 6.5 bullets, and shoot them in your rilfe, and out pops fully fire-formed 6.5 Sherman brass!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 PM

How good will the Sherman be ballistically? Will I have to special order the dies
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

The dies won't be cheap...As Mr. Whidden custom builds them to order, but they are 100% top-notch from everything I've read about Whidden dies.

Rich Sherman, is a member on here. He goes by "Elkaholic", and he can give you more details.

From everything I've read about the 6.5 Sherman, it's one of the baddest 6.5's out there, but is still good on barrel life and not hard on your brass life, either.

Rich can give you more details. Do a search about it on here, and you can find more than enough to read for a day or 2. LOL

Rich can give you ballistics data if you send him a PM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks I'll look into it more . What little I do know about the 6.5's is they do perform
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

260 or 7mm-08. Factory round. Great high BC bullets. Easy on the barrel for high volume shooting. Easy to run out of a long action.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowhand75 View Post
My savage 110 has a 22" sporter barrel, acutrigger and a crapy stock. It does shoot Moa. I bought it cheap for a project. I want to change the barrel and stock for sure. Just don't know if I want to stay with the 270 . I like to shoot a lot when I shoot. It will be primarily used for coyote hunting and targets out to 700yards. Should I keep the barrel for now and use it up, or what can I do with the 110 long action? If I change caliber it will need to be easy on the pockets as possible.
I have an older Savage 110 LA (nonaccutrigger) in. 270 Win that I had it rebarrelled to. 270 AI with Lilja 30", 1:8, 3-groove. Do a custom search on the top right corner for "My budget. 270 AI".

The .270 AI Redding dies is $120 IIRC. The advantage is you can shoot. 270 Win factory loads and develop. 270 Win hand loads to fireformto. 270 AI. With new (and upcoming) . 277 bullets from Matrix, Nosler, Berger, etc ... the. 270 is hard to beat.

For now, I have settled for 175gr Matrix VLD at 2981 FPS. In comparison, my friend is pushing the 180gr Berger VLD HSM at 2845 FPS off his 7MM Rem Mag (Weatherby Accumark).

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.