Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What Rifle Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

What Rifle Stock?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't really know where to put it.

I have a .243 AI getting built and I need to decide what stock to put on it. I have narrowed it down to a few, please give me your input:

- Christensen Arms carbon fiber classic style
- McMillan Remington Varmint
- McMillan A3 (not sure how it would be to carry...)
- MPI Tactical (not sure how it'd be to carry either...)
- Manners MCS-T2 (same as above...)
- Manners MCS-T
- Manners MCS-UL
- Others?

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Christensen or the MCS-UL, because I like the look of carbon fiber.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

What will you be shooting/hunting? Will you be shooing prone alot?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

It will be a deer/varmint rifle. Mostly varmints and some deer. I always try to get to a prone position before shooting, but I do shoot off-hand sometimes too.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
I have a stock question?

I'm not trying to high jack your thread, but I have noiced that some of the stocks used on some or theguns have odd shaped pistol grips...they remind me of a thumb hole design without the "over the thumb section". Is that what they are after?

I have one thumb hole stock and it is the most comfortable stock I have. I'm brand new to this site and know little to nothing about long range shooting...all I know is I like it. I plan to build a LRR in near future and was thinking about putting a thumb hole stock on it.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

I got to fondle a Manners the other day, and I have to say that is one fabulous stock. Not cheap! But I would stack it up against any other stock made. Jim R
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn C View Post
I'm not trying to high jack your thread, but I have noiced that some of the stocks used on some or theguns have odd shaped pistol grips...they remind me of a thumb hole design without the "over the thumb section". Is that what they are after?

I have one thumb hole stock and it is the most comfortable stock I have. I'm brand new to this site and know little to nothing about long range shooting...all I know is I like it. I plan to build a LRR in near future and was thinking about putting a thumb hole stock on it.

Like the Mcmillan A2,A3,A4, and A5?'s I would like some opinions about those too...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I think the Rem varmint is an awesome all around stock for various positions. I had an A2 at one point, great for prone, alright for offhand. The Rem varmint is my pick for "general" use.