Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What Rifle for future build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Bronze Member

What Rifle for future build

I plan to buy my two boys each a rifle for xmas. I want to get them started in the right direction. They are not afraid of recoil, as they both have expeirence.

Question is what to buy?
Some are saying buy a gun for the action. Why not just buy a action and start the build? Or are the actions that exspensive/hard to find? Whats the best for the money?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: What Rifle for future build

If your buying just to build on then I would buy a custom unless of course you were going the savage route. Factory actions can be made to shoot as good as customs however you will wrap just as much money into them and still just have a factory action.

However if this will be a work in progress as money permits buy the rifles and do 1 thing at a time.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Bronze Member

The wife and I are for sure on a budget, and only have a couple G's to spare, and want to spend it right the first time. Maybe the grandparents can swing the scopes, lol.

The savage route? I have read a little on here about them, and have just never been a fan. I didn't like the feel of the stock, and wasn't impressed with the trigger. But if its the cheapest way to go and have a quality gun, then I will look in to it. I will say in defense, the savage I looked at was years ago.

I have just always been a remington guy. I have a custom 7 stw. Its on a 700 action with shilen barrel, and jewel trigger. But I know what I had into it to!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Gold Member

How much is a couple G's?

Throw out a number for both gun combined it will help with determining what you will end up with.

ANd what will this be used for? Ranges? Bench or carry? Animals? You reload?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

$2000 that doesn't get you very far anymore! We shoot at the range alot, but mostly hunting. I am planing a hunt in Wyoming for antelope/deer for 2012, and would like for them to have there own gun. Yes I reload.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Get a pair of Remington Senderos and don't look back.

7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. Since you already have the 7STW, you can share the bullets. Berger 168's and 180's work great in my Sendero.

You can add a muzzle brake if you want to completely tame the recoil.

That's what I did for my son.
First Long Range Kill

-- richard
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Definitely look at the various Remington 700s. Their SPS entry level rifles are fairly inexpensive and available in a wide variety of calibers. They are a great platform to start with as everyone makes aftermarket parts for Rem700s and all gunsmiths will work on them.

If you want to go a little higher end to start, the earlier suggestion of the Sendero is a good one.

As an example, here's my nephew's Rem700 SPS....

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

If you like a more dedicated longrange rifle, here's an example of an SPS Varmint....

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

Read all the way to the end of the thread and you will see this 308 turn into a full-blown custom 260.