Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What really makes it a magnum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What really makes it a magnum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
And while a 30-06, 7-06, or a 284Win, are more or less capable, their case heads don't exceed .473" and/or they don't hold a headspacing belt in their designs.
For rifles, there's at least one "magnum" designated round whose head diameter's .473" so it'll work in a standard .30-06 size bolt face and it's a belted case. Tried to find others Googling around the i-net but didn't. 'Tis Roy Weatherby's .240 Wby. Magnum;

http://www.stevespages.com/jpg/cd240weatherbymagnum.jpg

And in the rifle magnum ammo chart's "pipsqueak" column, there's the .22 Winchester Magnum.

There's other rimmed cartridges used in rifles that have "Magnum" in their name, but they originated in the handgun world.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

When you guys get this one figured out, you might want to determine what makes a product "long lasting".
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
When you guys get this one figured out, you might want to determine what makes a product "long lasting".

A good friggin design! Springfield armory got it right so long ago, the 06 still tops all others for annual die sales. No need to go into the track record
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

All excellent responses as expected. In my youth, I thought magnum territory was 3000 FPS. Then I got my first 338 win mag. I figured it was a magnum because, well, it recoiled like a magnum would! I dont think winchester would have sold one 300 Win Mag if it had been named " 30 winchester standard" My afore mentioned buddy doesnt own magnums, He has 06's, 280's etc. Of course, all at magnum velocities. If I had any sense, I would be building a 280AI with Chad now, rather than a 7 rem mag, maybe I'll have him engrave "Magnum" in big, cursive script on the barrel. . . . . . . . . .. . . . .
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
(the .30-06) A good friggin design! Springfield armory got it right so long ago. . .)
I agree. Too bad it's performance in competition wasn't fully utilized after the .308 Win. chambered barrels started kicking it off the firing lines in 1963. Had the .30-06 commercial chambers had a 1.5 degree leade angle in a 1:12 twist bore, it would have shot just as accurate as the .308's did with the same leade angle and twists. So it was not the cartridge that made in unpopular, it was the chamber and bore specs used that dealt the .30-06 its death knell in competition.

While the .30-03's 220-gr. round nose needed a 1:10 twist, that's too fast for best performance with a 150-gr. spitzer at .30-06 muzzle velocities. And the 172-gr. FMJBT machine gun bullet that came out in the 1920's for the .30-06 also was best with a 1:12 twist.

Harry Pope (barrel maker extraordinaire) knew the .30-06's 150-gr. bullet would shoot much more accurate if the barrels were rifled with a 1:12 twist. Mr. Pope's said to have contacted the government and strongly suggested they use a 1:12 twist for the new '06 cartridge, but Uncle Sam chose to keep using the 1:10 twist. When Harry was contracted to make barrels for the M1903's for use in the Palma long range matches, he had to profile them the same as the arsenal barrels were. He said (in so many words): "OK, I'll make 'em on the outside like you want, but I'll make 'em on the inside like I want." He used 1"12 twists with his bore and groove specs and the USA team won the next big world championship long range matches with them.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygss View Post
My afore mentioned buddy doesnt own magnums, He has 06's, 280's etc. Of course, all at magnum velocities.
Lots of folks load smaller case cartridge for a given caliber's magnums and get magnum velocities with equal length barrels. But they typically do so at peak pressures much higher that what's safe as well as more than SAAMI/CIP specs.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygss View Post
If I had any sense, I would be building a 280AI with Chad now, rather than a 7 rem mag, maybe I'll have him engrave "Magnum" in big, cursive script on the barrel. . . . . . . . . .. . . . .

Incredible caliber that 280AI is, I built one for a close friend while he was in Iraq, I sooooo wish I built 2
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe