Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What makes one muzzle brake better than another?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: What makes one muzzle brake better than another?

Generally to clock a ported brake you have to chuck it in a lathe and cut the rear face until, when tightened, it screw on straight up and down (or with the ports horizontal). It's pretty easy to cut too much and have to go all the way around again. It helps to figure out how much 1 revolution is in thousandths, based on thread pitch, and then figure out how many degrees it's off from being on correctly. Always cut less than you think.

There are some that will also use crush washers if they have a pre-threaded barrel so they don't have to use a lathe or visit the gunsmith. The problem with that is they wear out and get looser. A set screw installed into the bottom is also another way to do it without a lathe or smith but I'd use a brass or aluminum screw so you don't damage the threads on the barrel.

BTW ported brakes with the ports angled back toward the shooter are generally the most effective but also the loudest.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

The holy grail of metalworking.........

Always cut less than you think.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Putting a brake on can be easy. But also is a tedioud job when done correctly. Mine will only be done by a mith I trust. If the brake is installed properly it will align to the perfect clocked position when just snugged up. I never want a brake that has to be tightened hard to be in position. I have seen the results. If you over tighten the brake , the fine threads will mechanically apply pressure to the barrel tube and make a tight spot in the rifling toward the end of your muzzle and it will gather copper. This pressure or tight spot can change everytime you emove or replace the brake with the tight ones. Believe me it does not take much. This is why (as listed in #4 in previous post) I prefer to leave the brake on as much as possible. The JP allows for cleaning the crown and removing it often is not necessary.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

For the average guy, clocking a brake is as easy as dropping the rifle off at your gunsmiths place.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
For the average guy, clocking a brake is as easy as dropping the rifle off at your gunsmiths place.
That's what I had better do.

You guys have been a ton of help. Thanks.