Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What makes a bullet a good bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM
SPONSOR

Re: What makes a bullet a good bullet?

"What makes a bullet a good bullet?" One word,,,,, consistency!,,,,,,,, which leads to,,,,,,,,,,, repeatability!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM

For big game shooting where destroying edible meat is not desirable, and being one who recommends shooting any big game animal intended for the freezer through the lungs, I would say that a "good" bullet is one that delivers violent rapid expansion in the lung cavity area! Nosler Ballistic Tips perform this task very well. They also provide the long range qualities that result in flat trajectories.

Shooting through edible meat to reach the vitals (lungs) is something to be avoided if possible, but there are times when you have to take whats offered and get the job done. I don't want a bullet that opens up like the Ballistic Tip does for that work, and while any "good" big game deer hunting bullet will destroy a lot of meat, for reaching the lungs through bad angle shots, I recommend the Nosler Partition. In my main "go to" hunting rifle, I shoot two bullet configurations in the same weight and from the same manufacture; Noslers in a BT and Part. The BT is in the chamber and the Partitions are at hand if needed. They shoot to the same POI for all practical purposes.

A "good" bullet is one that you have deemed as such through research, trial and field proofing against intended targets. We all have our own personal "good" bullet... You will find yours and join a group of opinionated hunters who will defend thier choice with total dedication! Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM

I have been using the 168 Gr Amax on deer for the last five years in my 21 in barreled 308 with outstanding results. Not one animal has taken a single step after being hit. It absolutely does not have an underexpansion issue as was posted earlier. On the small whitetails and pronghorns that we have in our area, they simply cannot be beaten.

I would not however attemt to use the same bullet on elk or at a very high velocity such as one of the larger 30 caliber magnums.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Over kill, in my experience.

I bought some 180gr Hornady SPBT 300WM, from a buddy he had a lot of it, and didn't want to sell it to just anyone, he made an offer I couldn't refuse. Plus I'd tried some in my rifle and was pleasently surprised, it shot real well.

I took it antelope hunting, antelope aren't big enough to expand 180gr Hornady. Probably a good thing, shot placement still makes DRT @ 100yds the first time. Maybe I didn't learn my lesson, there was a lot of 180gr I'd picked up. I used it the next year as well, I had a 20mph gusting cross wind @260yds, I was afraid I'd mess up the shot, and mess up the antelope. So I used rule of thumb, and tuched off 2" infront of the eyesocket. Neither one lost meat, to mention.

Is it the right bullet? It fills the freezer with DRT performance.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
... I had a 20mph gusting cross wind @260yds, I was afraid I'd mess up the shot, and mess up the antelope. So I used rule of thumb, and tuched off 2" infront of the eyesocket. Neither one lost meat, to mention.

Where did the bullet impact?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

In one eye, out the other. It was more WAG than SWAG.

It's kinda sad, my cusin thinks I'm a sniper. It's okay, I call him a spotter.

Last edited by BigSkyGP; 03-11-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
In one eye, out the other. It was more WAG than SWAG.

It's kinda sad, my cusin thinks I'm a sniper. It's okay, I call him a spotter.
I was wondering because the ballistic calc has that bullet drifting about 8" give or take in a 20 mph crosswind.