Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
here's why I said to go with the 6/250AI instead of the .243AI. When fire forming an improved case the over all length actually shrinks anywhere fron .030" to .060"; depending on the case design and how much of a void the brass has to fill. A typical .243AI shrinks anywhere from .03" to .045", and the neck is the part that looses out. The .243 neck is already too short for heavy bullets and very light bullets, and the T.P. ends up in the throat killing barrel life. But with the 40 degree shoulder, it helps by moving the T.P. back into the neck a little bit. You still can't overcome the too short of a neck syndome. Most guys I know that still shoot the .243AI use 6mm Remington brass instead of generic .243 brass to at least keep the proper neck length. My 6/250AI chamber is actually about 1.968" long, and I use .243 brass rather than 22-250 brass. My cases will shrink right at .040" on fire forming. This makes them come in at about 1.930" for a neck length of .26" (roughly). I'd much rather have a .290 neck length. My next 6mm round will be a 6BG or a 6BG+.100".
gary

I agree, but I would go with the 6mm Ackley over both. Then again, I chose to build mind on the LA for repeating and feeding the 105 Berger Hunting VLDs
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I was very excited when the 6mm Dasher came onto the scene and could not wait to get one build and get the magical numbers they have been reported to produce.

In the end, it topped out at around 2900 fps with a 107 gr SMK and has done so in many rifles. Some will rarely push 3000 fps but thats pretty hot on average.

By comparision, the unsexy 6mm-250 will drive a 107 gr SMK to 2950-3050 fps depending on barrel length, shoot into the 1/5 moa range depending on rifle and shooter and no fireforming needed.

The Dasher lost a bit of luster in my eyes after testing it. Still a great round but just realized what your getting and do not expect magic. IF that is the case you will be very happy with the Dasher if you like forming brass.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Any 6mm is pretty light for true long range deer hunting. The 6.5mm is a far better choice and offers much better barrel life with very little increase in velocity.

I guess it comes back to what Long Range means to a certain individual.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I was very excited when the 6mm Dasher came onto the scene and could not wait to get one build and get the magical numbers they have been reported to produce.

In the end, it topped out at around 2900 fps with a 107 gr SMK and has done so in many rifles. Some will rarely push 3000 fps but thats pretty hot on average.

By comparision, the unsexy 6mm-250 will drive a 107 gr SMK to 2950-3050 fps depending on barrel length, shoot into the 1/5 moa range depending on rifle and shooter and no fireforming needed.

The Dasher lost a bit of luster in my eyes after testing it. Still a great round but just realized what your getting and do not expect magic. IF that is the case you will be very happy with the Dasher if you like forming brass.
There is no magic to the Dasher in hunting purposes, but in LR bench comps, there definitely is a lot of magic. It is a totally different type of shooting though.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Any 6mm is pretty light for true long range deer hunting. The 6.5mm is a far better choice and offers much better barrel life with very little increase in velocity.

I guess it comes back to what Long Range means to a certain individual.

I agree. I use the 6mm AI for yotes and smaller at LR. It is not a LR deer gun. The 6.5 is much better suited.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
Why a 6mm/250AI? your giving up 10 grains of capacity to the 243AI if both are loaded to the same length and the same quality brass is available for both. What is better, just wondering? I can push BN Dtacs nearly 3200 with 243AI and acccuracy is great.
The difference is about nine grains of powder (or less) for about 125 fps less velocity. I could push the 117 Sierras even harder, but don't. 105AMX bullets at 3100 fps is what the barrel likes. The bullets are still seated into the shoulder a bit more than I would prefer, but nothing like your 115's are. Most every .243AI case ends up being .220" or less in the length (most are .21"). I finish out at .260", and trim to .25".
gary
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
The difference is about nine grains of powder (or less) for about 125 fps less velocity. I could push the 117 Sierras even harder, but don't. 105AMX bullets at 3100 fps is what the barrel likes. The bullets are still seated into the shoulder a bit more than I would prefer, but nothing like your 115's are. Most every .243AI case ends up being .220" or less in the length (most are .21"). I finish out at .260", and trim to .25".
gary
All this is true. The simpler answer is that the 243 AI isn't as improved as the 6-250 Ai is during the fire forming. The 250 Savage case is just a better parent case to improve.