Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

Hello I have a 308 REM vsf ,if you had the option to make it a better long range caliber what would that be and why. thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what long range cartridge would work best for a remington short action

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
Hello I have a 308 REM vsf ,if you had the option to make it a better long range caliber what would that be and why. thanks.
With the short action, you are of course limited to the short mags. The easiest switch would be to the 300 WSM. You would have to have the boltface machined out and the barrel rechambered. This would be the cheapist as well as the easiest. If you plan on installing a custom barrel, then your options are open to other short mag rounds as well. Another option would be something like the 6.5/.284 which would not require a bolt mod but you would be somewhat limited to overall cartridge length with the long bullets in your magazine....Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 03-03-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Three questions...

1. Are you planning to just rechamber the current barrel?

2. Are you planning to rebarrel?

3. What is your intended use for the rifle?

1 & 3. If you rechamber, you are limited to 30cal cartridge. I think Elkaholic is right that a good option is 300wsm. It shoots fast, flat and delivers a ton of energy. Does that match up with your intended use?

2 & 3. If you rebarrel, then the sky is the limit in terms of the cartridge you choose. There are many awesome cartridges in 6.5mm, 7mm and 30cal to choose from. My 308 was converted to a 260Rem. It is awsome and I use it for targets, varmints and deer.

My 260 by MCR
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Well unless you plan on missing a lot a mag follower and buttstock shellholder with eliminate those OAL issues, but if not a 300wsm is pretty mean and idiot proof on the reloading end.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
.260 Remington
No extra work required for feeding, boltface etc.
Good variety of high BC bullets available.
Effective on game.
Light recoil.

Just have it throated so you can reach the lands when your bullet of choice is seated to magazine length.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 03-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
'Better' is a subjective term. To me, making a factory 308 a 'better' caliber is installing a custom barrel, Wyatt magazine, floating/bedding the stock or replacing it with a different stock altogether, etc......Nothing wrong with the 308. Barrels last a long time, they are super accurate, good 1000 yard practice rifle, plenty of terminal performance, managable recoil, etc.....

Now if your idea of a 'better' caliber is harder hitting, then you will want to look at the WSM's or SAUM's.

If your idea of a 'better' caliber is less recoil then you may want to look at the 260 or 708. Maybe the 6.5x284.

Bottom line is you need to supply more information as to what kind of 'better' you are looking for. You have your ideas, I have mine and everybody else has theirs. Help us understand what your 'better' means.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

IF you go with the WSM (you will love it), do not waste your time or money on the factory bolt!

Buy a PTG bolt with M16 extractor ready to do and sell the factory bolt. You will be money ahead compared to converting the factory and you will have a much smoother and most importantly more reliable rifle. Been that route and is total waste of money and reliability.

BH