Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what kind of action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what kind of action???

And BTW Mud, you are the only person I know or have read to describe your experience with a Howa action in that way. I have owned several different types of rifles and actions and the Howa/Vanguards are among the best, right up there with the M70 than all the rest. Maybe a truck ran over your Howa? or maybe you don't know how to think objectively? Don't have any flying spaghetti monster nightmares tonight.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

The Howa I had was horribly fitted. It was a new/used gun I bought when I worked at the gunstore (11 years ago). It was used, but unfired. Bought it for $200, which was our cost on it. It was horrible. It was so bad I traded it off 2 years later, unfired.

I may be the first, but you will learn that I don't exaggerate things.

What good does it do to exaggerate or push people into a direction they don't want to go?

Oh, and the spaghetti monsters are still ying above you. LOL

PS - We don't get into ******* matches, we have logical debates that sometimes get excited.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

Oh, and the spaghetti monsters are still ying above you. LOL
Yeah, I figured as much

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
No one action has all the best features, design and construction. You can probably find a feature from any one action that is superior to other actions, except maybe the 700. It's an overall good or OK action, but it doesn't have a single feature or component that another action isn't superior to.
If you infer that some of the 700's features are not as good as what those in another action are, then I agree. The Rem. 7XX actions are all decendants of their Model 30 which is a commercial version of the M1917 Enfield .30-06 service rifle. Because of these shortcomings, they were not popular in the competitive shooting discipline that's closest to use afield for hunting purposes.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
If you infer that some of the 700's features are not as good as what those in another action are, then I agree. The Rem. 7XX actions are all decendants of their Model 30 which is a commercial version of the M1917 Enfield .30-06 service rifle. Because of these shortcomings, they were not popular in the competitive shooting discipline that's closest to use afield for hunting purposes.
I will give some examples. In comparing the 700 bolt to the Howa bolt, the Howa is one piece construction. The bolt body is ported and the extractor is an M16 style. Comparing the recoil lug, the 700 has a ring type that is fitted around the the shank of the barrelbetween the barrel and the reciever. The Howa and M70 have beefy integral lugs cast or machined as part of the receiver. The M70 being a bit larger than the Howa. For fit, finish and workmanship, most actions if not all, that I am familiar with are of a higher standard than the 700. The Sako is at the top of the heap in this category. However, the Sako has a pathetic recoil lug system. If it had a good integral lug, IMO it would be the best of the factory produced actions. What a pity...

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Some of those Remington recoil lugs on magnum rifles have bent forward from recoil. I've seen two of them myself. A rather weak part those chambered for the larger magnum rounds.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Some of those Remington recoil lugs on magnum rifles have bent forward from recoil. I've seen two of them myself. A rather weak part those chambered for the larger magnum rounds.

Yeah, and some posters here don't seem to believe that can happen? That is why my 300 RUM 700 build is getting the factory lug replaced with the heavy duty over sized lug.

~ John Quincy Adams