Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what kind of action???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what kind of action???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
No they are not! I did the strait 1.25" barrel in my 6BR and have regretted it ever since.
A 1.25" straight barrel is not a straight taper. A straight taper would be tapered and they are more rigid than a Sporter or Palma taper. If more rigid means more accurate, they will be more accurate.

Quote:
When the weight of the barrel surpasses the weight of the action your introuble.
The barrel is heavier than the action on most rifles.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 AM

I always prefer Sako. It has huge collection of variety and been using Sako JRSBC51 Bavarian Carbine 6.5x55 Swede Rifle and its has got some tremendous features.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

I'd get an old, cheap, used Win. 70. Their receivers are near 3 times stiffer than the Remingtons, more reliable, easier to replace parts with and hold bedding better than round ones. Properly barreled and bedded, they'll shoot bullets just as accurate as the most expensive fancy action made.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

I find it funny when guys bag on the savage actions...like the Dodge comment etc. I am one of those guys who doesn't know any better, I have savage, remington, and ruger in my safe. No winchesters currently, a couple 300 model 70's were stolen. All of the rifles shoot well. I like my remington action feel and look but the savages all shoot well. Is it just a brand thing or there is actually merit to the hate? For example, Savage's are POS because they are too weak, flex, and will not produce solid repeatable results. I honestly don't have clue, mine seem fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysesh View Post
I ended up buying a Remington 700 standard action. Now time to look for a stock! And barrel choice! Thinking about a lilja or a kregger barrel. Any opinions?? I think I want a straight taper maybe? From what I hear they are more accurate
Check into Rock Creek barrels. Mike is the owner. I have heard nothing but good things about them and their barrels.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I don't care for Savage actions from back when it was Savage/Stevens...I can't tell you how many customers came back into the store saying how their Savage wouldn't hold a group better than an 1.5-2.00" at 100 yards. To say the least, that really turned me off of Savage.

However, I have been told that the newer Savages have come a long way from the old ones. Either way, hearing those guys talk about them back then really threw me off of them bad enough I never wanted one after that. Before that I had always wanted the one with the Varminter Choate stock and heavy barrel. But after hearing them, I bought my 700 Sendero SF in 7mmSTW, and never looked back.

I have/will always be a Rem 7,700, M24, & 40-X fan, just b/c of how legendary they are. I have been shooting them for years and years now, and have never had anything bad happen to any of them. To me, the years and years of positive shooting has made me a lifelong fan.

So, other than hearing those guys talk at the gun shop about how their old Savage/Stevens wouldn't group @ 100, that is the only personal experiences I have with them, other than selling them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Not bagging on you but that is not a surprise. It reminds of the arguements over truck brands. It usually is a bunch of BS. Savage was the turd of rifles from a general emtional response stand point and I was right there too. Just another knucklehead brow beating savage as a POS as I was ignorant. I had never even shot a savage, let alone held one in my hands, until I won a savage. I now have 3. I would easily purchase more if I were in the market for another rifle, then again, I have had zero issues so I am a bit optomistic now perhaps.