Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

what kind of action???

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: oregon coast
Posts: 123
Re: what kind of action???

I have seen them there. But what about buying them just like from people off this web sight used ones? Like 300?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: what kind of action???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysesh View Post
i want to build a 6.5X284. this is where i need to start so remington 700, sako or custom??? whats the best value for my money?
I would go with a Howa/Vanguard action. You can get them for less and IMO, they are a better action for the following reasons.

Single piece ported bolt
Sako style extractor
Integral recoil lug
Flat bottom receiver
Easy tune trigger

I have both Vanguards and 700's and prefer the Vanguards. Doing builds on both currently. I have also tuned triggers for both and was able to tune my Vanguard triggers in less than 5 min to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs while it took 30 min or more to tune the old style 700 triggers down to only 2 1/2 lbs.

If you upgrade to a Timney trigger you can get a 3 position for the Howa/Vanguard, but in order to get a 3 position for the 700 you must replace the bolt shroud for about $125.

Also, the Vanguard long action is about 1/4" shorter than the 700 so a little more compact which fits the 6.5x284 cartridge a little better.

Not all smiths work on Howas because they are metric threads. Both of my smiths convert the metric to standard when they do the rebarrel.

Hope that helps.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: what kind of action???

One more thing on the Howa/Vanguard. I also think they are a tighter and smoother action than the 700. Go to the store, work a couple off the shelf and decide for your self.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ND
Posts: 206
Re: what kind of action???

Do your self a favor and go with Defiance, Borden or Stiller. If you are getting a custom stock, barrel, and trigger why settle for a M700???

Re-sale value is better too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: oregon coast
Posts: 123
Re: what kind of action???

I was kinda thinking still but there a clone to a 700 anyways! And I don't mind the howas they seem okay but there safety's look is ugly and I don't like where it's located.


Real question is what are the 700 actions going for used?? Say it's a good deal
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: what kind of action???

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaysesh View Post
I was kinda thinking still but there a clone to a 700 anyways! And I don't mind the howas they seem okay but there safety's look is ugly and I don't like where it's located.
The Howa safety is very similar to the 700 in appearance and location is almost identical, just slightly closer to the bolt than the 700.

Quote:
Real question is what are the 700 actions going for used?? Say it's a good deal
You should be able to google that easily. I would say about $400 - $500 depending on condition and SS vs CM

Or you might be able to pick up a used rifle for $400 or so.

I have bought several used Vanguards in the $200-$300 range.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 507
Re: what kind of action???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I would go with a Howa/Vanguard action. You can get them for less and IMO, they are a better action for the following reasons.

Single piece ported bolt
Sako style extractor
Integral recoil lug
Flat bottom receiver
Easy tune trigger

I have both Vanguards and 700's and prefer the Vanguards. Doing builds on both currently. I have also tuned triggers for both and was able to tune my Vanguard triggers in less than 5 min to a crisp 1 1/2 lbs while it took 30 min or more to tune the old style 700 triggers down to only 2 1/2 lbs.

If you upgrade to a Timney trigger you can get a 3 position for the Howa/Vanguard, but in order to get a 3 position for the 700 you must replace the bolt shroud for about $125.

Also, the Vanguard long action is about 1/4" shorter than the 700 so a little more compact which fits the 6.5x284 cartridge a little better.

Not all smiths work on Howas because they are metric threads. Both of my smiths convert the metric to standard when they do the rebarrel.

Hope that helps.
FYI the Howa/Vanguard action does not have a Sako style extractor it is a M16 style extractor. That is important since the M16 style is a much safer than the Sako.

James
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.28%
914 Votes
No - 52.72%
1,019 Vote
Total Votes: 1,933
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC