Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What kills barrel life on bigger magnums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

What kills barrel life on bigger magnums?

What causes the loss of barrel life? Obviously the more the velocity the less barrel life. But lets say the barrel is well cleaned and taken care of, Is it the amount of powder being pushed down the bore?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What kills barrel life on bigger magnums?

Using the trigger as a giggle switch repeatedly! A couple shots then checking conditions and letting things chill will go a long ways!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

Giggle switch ,,,lol,, i like that.
#1 reason in my mind too
Old 12-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Excessive heat and overbore calibers is what kills barrels. It's the nature of the beast and a vicious cycle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Bigngreen, thanks for your reply.

Not quite what I was asking, but I still appreciate it!

Here's my dilemma, I have like a day or two to figure this out. I just ordered a LRKM from Shawn. I'm stuck between the edge +p and the terminator +p. the main thing pushing me away from the terminator is loss in barrel life. But here's where I'm confused. In a 30" barrel, Shawn is getting about 3040 fps with 101 gr of n570, Broz in his terminator is getting 3210 fps with 111 gr of n570 (out of a 32" barrel) So obviously the terminator will lose barrel life faster. But what is causing it? The 10 grns more powder? The extra 170 fps?

This is so freakin hard to decide on which case to use!!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrossbmx69 View Post
Bigngreen, thanks for your reply.

Not quite what I was asking, but I still appreciate it!

Here's my dilemma, I have like a day or two to figure this out. I just ordered a LRKM from Shawn. I'm stuck between the edge +p and the terminator +p. the main thing pushing me away from the terminator is loss in barrel life. But here's where I'm confused. In a 30" barrel, Shawn is getting about 3040 fps with 101 gr of n570, Broz in his terminator is getting 3210 fps with 111 gr of n570 (out of a 32" barrel) So obviously the terminator will lose barrel life faster. But what is causing it? The 10 grns more powder? The extra 170 fps?

This is so freakin hard to decide on which case to use!!
Both will be a factor in barrel life, more powder, more speed, more heat, all through the same size hole.

Get the 338 Terminator +p & don't look back
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

How you shoot each will make the big difference, where the powder burns makes a difference, the Lapua case being larger may let more powder burn in case, I honestly think at this case capacity you won't see much of a difference between the two. I've shot Jeff's a few times, between the performance and the Lapua brass when I order mine it will be the Terminator without a doubt!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"