Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What happened to the '06?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What happened to the '06?

Clint,

What's in a name? The term magnum is relative. Compared to a 308 Win, the 30-06 is a magnum. They are all various sizes and shapes of cases that push 308 cal projectiles. If you like the nostalgia of the 30-06 that's great.

The stnd 06 should be able to do what you want but you could do an AI. Doing wildcats is a fun thing (love of labor) for the most part because there is usually already an existing case to do the same job ballisitically. I.e., the WSM or SAUM will do what the 06 AI will do.

I think the Sherman case are a great inovation and you could do one for "neat" factor, but I think if I were going to do an 06 AI I would use 06 Lapua brass. (No offense Rich )

If you want something a little more than the 06 you might consider the SAUM or WSM or even the 300 RCM which I think is a pretty cool cartridge. Pretty much right there between the 06 and WSM and good Hornady brass. Just pretend the "M" part doesn't exist

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
X-man.....If you are genuinely concerned, I thank you for that! Here is what I suggest: Look up the data that I quoted from both Berger and Lyman and see if it makes sense to you. If it does, Great! If it doesn't, have your connections with Hodgdon call Berger and Lyman and straighten them out! Thanks for your input........Rich
Rich, show us doubters some actual measured pressure numbers from your barrel, then we may walk away with our tail between our legs.

There's lots of measured pressure numbers out there for some cartridges, but none I'm aware of for your .300 Sherman barrel and ammo you load for it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Rich, show us doubters some actual measured pressure numbers from your barrel, then we may walk away with our tail between our legs.

There's lots of measured pressure numbers out there for some cartridges, but none I'm aware of for your .300 Sherman barrel and ammo you load for it.
Bart ......I'll give you the same advice I gave X-man. Call Hodgdon and have them straighten it out! In the meantime, I'm doing just fine! Thanks for your help........Rich
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Clint,

What's in a name? The term magnum is relative. Compared to a 308 Win, the 30-06 is a magnum. They are all various sizes and shapes of cases that push 308 cal projectiles. If you like the nostalgia of the 30-06 that's great.

The stnd 06 should be able to do what you want but you could do an AI. Doing wildcats is a fun thing (love of labor) for the most part because there is usually already an existing case to do the same job ballisitically. I.e., the WSM or SAUM will do what the 06 AI will do.

I think the Sherman case are a great inovation and you could do one for "neat" factor, but I think if I were going to do an 06 AI I would use 06 Lapua brass. (No offense Rich )

If you want something a little more than the 06 you might consider the SAUM or WSM or even the 300 RCM which I think is a pretty cool cartridge. Pretty much right there between the 06 and WSM and good Hornady brass. Just pretend the "M" part doesn't exist
Mark....good point! I wish I had some Lapua brass in that size! It would alleviate part of the danger of running 80,000 psi at the same time...rich
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bart ......I'll give you the same advice I gave X-man. Call Hodgdon and have them straighten it out! In the meantime, I'm doing just fine! Thanks for your help........Rich
That would be a waste of my time; everyone elses, too, in my opinion. I'd rather see pressure numbers measured on your barrel with your loads. That's the stuff in contension. Pressure testing your barrel and ammo's the only thing that will back up anyone's claim about your barrel and ammo with 100% credibility.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
X-man.....If you are genuinely concerned, I thank you for that! Here is what I suggest: Look up the data that I quoted from both Berger and Lyman and see if it makes sense to you. If it does, Great! If it doesn't, have your connections with Hodgdon call Berger and Lyman and straighten them out! Thanks for your input........Rich
I don't have the Lyman #48 loading manual so I don't see what they show for velocities fro the 180 and 200 grain loads, but I suspect they show 2850fps for the 180 grain and 2700fps for the 200 grain bullet?

300 SAUM max load with a 180 grain 64.5 grains IMR 4831 gives what velocity?
300 SAUM max load with a 200 grain 62 grains IMR 4831 gives what velocity?
Can you look it up for me?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

This is a waste of my time and I won't allow myself to be drawn into saying things I will regret later.......Rich