Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What happened to the '06?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What happened to the '06?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
You have to be running some pretty scary pressure to get that velocity.
I have pressure testing equipment that reads up to 80,0000 psi.....you are very likely be above that.
Case shape has nothing to do with the cases ability to handle pressure. Think of the case as a balloon...the pressure is everywhere inside the case and will all escape from the weakest point.

You do realize those 2 tiny locking lugs are holding back 15,000 pounds or more (likely) right? This is strictly bolt face thrust....What do you think will happen if you get cleaning oil in the chamber?
If I told you to climb under 2 diesel pick ups and a Honda Civic stacked end on end while I held them up with your little bolt lugs you would rightly tell me to take a flying leap.

Yet you trust your life to those little lugs because you can't see the forces trying to kill you?
Heads up bro!
I don't believe a RP or WW case will take that kind of pressure before coming unglued......rich
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
You have to be running some pretty scary pressure to get that velocity.
I have pressure testing equipment that reads up to 80,0000 psi.....you are very likely be above that.
Such pressures also reduce barrel life. Significantly, too.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Such pressures also reduce barrel life. Significantly, too.
Yes they do all else equal. All I can report are my experiences. I have approx 1600 rounds through my 6.5 sherman and it still shoots under 1/2 moa. This is all I really care about! We can debate all the other isues, most of which we agree on, but the bottom line is what works for me and others using these same chamberings......Rich
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbreitwieser View Post
Hey everyone, I've been doing a lot of reading on here the past few days, and one thing I've come to notice is that there isn't much talk about the 30-06. Is the great grandfather of modern day long range cartridges dying off? Ill be getting my lathe very soon and one of the first things I want to do on it is build a precision '06. It seems like its the perfect balance between the .308 and .300wm. My hopes are to be able to accurately engage out to 1000-1200 meters, I want it bigger than a .308 and I don't really want a magnum. Am I just not seeing something in these newer calibers that many of you are building on, or is the '06 still a good option for what I want?

Thanks,
Clint
CTBREIT/CLINT- i like the 30-06 . i have more 30-06s than any other caliber. having shot to 1000 yards i would say MORE is better, even more so since you said 1000-1200. for me, the next logical step up from the 30-06 would be a 300 wsm , next a 308 norma , and next a 300 win mag, and next a 300weatherby . not a wildcat something , way too much trouble to get an extra 50-100 fps. i have shot the 6.5-284, 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag to 1000 yards. the extra velocity and bc of heavier bullets really helps with the wind.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

In response to some of the doubters, I'm not doing anything here that you can't do with the short mags with a 28" barrel! My capacity is right in between the WSM and SAUM and it has a longer throat as well.It just happens to be on an '06 sized case. The new Berger manual shows the saum at very near 3000' with a 24 " barrel. My velocities are stated with a 28" barrel. I don't understand the GREAT mystery here?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Well, I still have a little while to decide what I want to go with, but just for ease of reloading and only for smacking steel up to 1000-1200 yds, I think I might just stick with the '06. I know its old, kind of out dated, and lacking in perfomance compared to many newer cartridges, but it should do what I want. Thanks for the lessons you got taught me, and please, continue these conversations. Im learning a lot.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Well, I still have a little while to decide what I want to go with, but just for ease of reloading and only for smacking steel up to 1000-1200 yds, I think I might just stick with the '06 (maybe go AI just for a little better performance??). I know its old, kind of out dated, and lacking in perfomance compared to many newer cartridges, but it should do what I want. Thanks for the lessons you got taught me, and please, continue these conversations. Im learning a lot.